possible difficult child identity theft

N

Nomad

at our house we have been receiving denied credit card applications left and right for difficult child
at first we thought she had applied to a few places and was denied
once in a blue moon she does this
but then, when they started coming in left and right we realized this was weird
she seemed baffled and now and I don't think this is her doing
a long time ago her purse was stolen and her drivers license along with it
so, we really didn't expect something at this time
but this sounds like possible identity theft or something like it
the weird thing is that all the letters are coming here
anyone have a notion of what is going on?
and what we might do about it?
thanks

InsaneCdn

I'm assuming the theft was reported at the time? Probably had to be, to replace D/L, right?
If so, follow up with the Police - they can tell you what steps to take for identity theft.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
www.annualcreditreport.com.

Seriously speaking - I use this, one of the 3 companies every 4 months... bio opened cards in husband's name at one point... So... I'm careful. O had access to a lot of stuff, even after we were locking everything up...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Nomad--

That sounds like a pretty bad job of identity theft...the thief obviously had no idea what they were doing.

on the other hand -

Maybe it's more of a "ruin her credit" type of plot? Does she have enemies?

keista

Are they for store cards? If so, then it makes perfect sense. they try to open the credit line to use it instantly. DL is used for ID so difficult child's address MUST be used. When credit is denied, they always send a follow up letter. Sometimes this can also be done online with Visa and Mastercard, although I don't recall ever getting instant access to the # to shop immediately, but I'm sure it's possible.

Put an identity theft alert on all 3 of her credit reports. Instant authorization will NOT be allowed.

DammitJanet

Its also possible that difficult child is just getting all these cards because its a cycle the card folks go through. They are coming to your house which I am assuming difficult child probably hasnt changed her address on at some database...maybe her DL? Cory has extremely bad credit and he gets credit card offers in the mail constantly. They wouldnt approve him if he sent the stupid things in. Credit cards, cell phone offers, gosh...I dont know what all. I do too but I think mine are because I just paid off my car loan early.