post from JLYen - about pulling out teeth

busywend

I am having a similar situation with my 7 year old son pulling his adult teeth out. Did you find anything that worked????? Please, please help. We have already shelled out almost 600 on his braces and more to come. He is only 7 though. He has diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), adhd, odd, mood disregulation, depression. He takes abilify and prosac. He also wets the bed at least once a week.
I am 28
Name Jenny
Married for almost nine years
We are a military family
Have 2 children one with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and one with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
I have diagnosis of major depressive disorder, gen anxiety disorder, and adhd

L

Liahona

Wow, how does he get to them with the braces on? Why is he doing it? If you can find out why and then find a replacement behavior it might work. Does he like to fidget with his teeth? Is it an emotional reaction?

JLyen

He only has partial braces on top. Last week he pulled one of his lower front teeth. I found it beside him in his bed and we tried to save it. The orthodontist glued it in with a wire to the two adjacent teeth. Then on Monday he bumped it up a little. On Tuesday they put brackets on those three teeth and it looked really good and like we might succeed at salvaging it but then at school he ripped it out with the bracket and wire.
Previously he has ripped out all his baby teeth but two I think. Some of them were not ready to come out and he ripped the gums open and pulled part of the facial plate out. We are searching for an answer but nothing seems to be clear yet. I have considered oral fixation, attention seeking, oral pain(not likely), and now I am at a loss.

buddy

My son has not pulled his teeth out but he will pick and with braces would really have terrible behaviors at times. So much better without braces now! The braces themselves caused irritation to him and he has always been sensitive to any little irritation, does not have to be pain. he will make his gums bleed at times by picking and by brushing too hard, over and over. Other times he lets it go--no brushing for a day and I have to cue him to do it. So weird.

My son needs deep pressure kinds of input. Even the dentist said to go ahead and use hubba bubba kinds of bubble gum...the thick kinds that allow for hard chewing, even two pieces. He also chews on surgical tubing which is chemical free. For my son it is a huge sensory issue and we work with Occupational Therapist (OT)'s on the underlying integration, in fact I am going to start him back in private Occupational Therapist (OT). Does your son have Occupational Therapist (OT)? I would for sure have him evaluated there. He is likely not perceiving touch and pain the same as we do. And once a behavior starts it can just become obsessive and compulsive esp. for kids on the spectrum.

Just my thoughts, sounds really awful, poor kid and poor you.