post op suggestions for..

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Kjs, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    itching. OMG, my arm is itching like crazy. Doctor said I could loosen the outer wrap on my elbow. Well my hand has been so swollen, I took off the outer wrap. The inner wrap is so tight, it is itching like crazy. Anyone with suggestions on how to deal with the itching? I am tempted to take it all off and it has only been 3 days!
     
  2. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Hot water is supposed to help according to The People's Pharmacy:

    <span style="color: #3333FF">Hot Water for Itches
    Home Remedies

    We discovered this technique in the book Dermatology: Diagnosis and Treatment* and have been using it ever since we wrote it up in the first edition of "The People's Pharmacy®."

    Moderate itching (the sort of thing you get from a mosquito bite or mild case of poison ivy without blisters) often responds to a hot water application. The water needs to be hot enough to be slightly uncomfortable but not so hot that it burns (120-130 degrees Fahrenheit).

    If you let the hot water tap run for a few minutes this should be about right. A few seconds' exposure is all you need to produce several hours of relief.

    *Sulzberger, M. B., et al. Dermatology: Diagnosis and Treatment. Chicago: Yearbook, 1961; p. 94</span>

    Not sure if that would safe with an open wound or delicate skin surgery though.
     
  3. HereWeGoAgain

    HereWeGoAgain Grandpa

    Well, wife used a fly swatter handle to slide under her cast to scratch itchy places.
     
  4. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    Hot water won't work, cannot get the area wet. 3 days out of surgery. I'll try to find something to slide under there, wish it were a cast...then I wouldn't be tempted to take it off. Dr. said not to take off the inner wrap.

    Thanks
     
  5. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    What do you all think about some kind of powder sprinkling down under the wrap? Do you think it would cause an infection with the open cut?
     
  6. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    I would not put anything like powder down there if you're not supposed to. Why not call the nurse at your DR's office and ask? They may have some safe practical solutions for you - you can't possibly be the first to ask!
     
  7. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    Benadryl.

    Oh, and Benadryl.

    This is my all purpose itching suggestion. If it doesn't help the itch, it will put you to sleep.

    Susie
     
  8. Fran

    Fran Former Site Owner

    Just my .02 but don't put any sort of device to itch or powder to soothe. It's a dark,damp place. Perfect breeding ground for infection. Never,ever stick something down to itch. Never put powder in with an open wound.

    If you are able to take Benadryl then that may be the way to go. If that doesn't work, then call the Dr.
     
  9. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    If you can't get it wet but you want to try heat, here is a suggestion I got from a doctor while we were on holidays - an improvised microwave travel hot pack.

    Get ONE hotel hand towel (or cloth nappy, if you are at home). Wet it, then wring it out. Fold it neatly to the shape you want, put it in a plastic bag of the crinkly plastic variety (like cheap shopping bags) and microwave it for however long it takes to get hot. You may need another dry towel to wrap it in if it's too hot. Be careful to make sure it's not too hot. Apply the 'hot pack' (still in the plastic bag) to the area that wants heat. When it cools you can heat it again. Be careful to not overheat, or the towel will dry out and catch fire. Always check before microwaving, to make sure it's still damp enough.

    This way you get dry heat in the area. Not as good as hot water, maybe, but it still might do the trick.

    Marg
     
  10. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    Benadryl works for me but I wouldn't mess around with anything else--just call the nurse.
     
  11. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    If its itching that badly I would call the doctor. Also the swelling would concern me if if your fingers and hand are swollen because that would lead me to believe that the inner bandage is too tight.

    When I have had my knee surgeries my lower parts didnt swell with the inner bandages. I was also allowed to remove the bandages to redo them after a few days. It could be that you are getting an infection and the doctor needs to see you.
     
  12. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    In rereading this, benadryl is fine for a night, until you can get in to see the doctor. If there is swelling you really need to get back in to be examined. May have an infection or something causing the swelling, or the inner bandage may be too tight. I am so sorry. I know it is miserable (esp if you have to listen to someone whine about it, LOLOLOL!!)) but other than benadryl you should wait and see the nurse or doctor.

    Hugs,

    Susie
     
Loading...