Posting a whiney complainy vent

StressedM0mma

I have had a koi filled week. Just one bad day after another. One of my foster dogs has to be put down tomorrow. She has inoperable cancer. My other foster I had to rush to the emergency vet yesterday. Hehas parvo. Not sure if he is going to pull through. difficult child HAS to have all of her work completed by tomorrow, and she is no where close. And I am so stressed. I love my foster girl. She is the sweetest dog. difficult child is going to flunk her classes this year, and I feel like there was something more I could have done to help. (I know there isn't but I still can't help but feel like it is my fault)

OK, whine over. I am trying to detach, I just do not really know how. Any suggestions?

Deep Breath.

InsaneCdn

I can't help in the detachment department... but...
Given that school totally blew it on her 504 (which now needs to become an IEP with teeth, but that's a different problem)...
The absolute minimum reaction from school need to be the option of 'credit recovery'. Here, it's used for kids who due to various situations (illness, family problems, mental health issues) did not "complete" the class, and therefore did not pass. They take the work already done, and the student does make-up work for the difference.

BusynMember

First of all, being an extreme dog lover, I'm so sorry about your foster dogs. I hope the one with parvo can be saved.

Secondly, your daughter has to be the one who does her work. You can't make her do it. Even at her age, it is best to remember that the one who didn't do the work was her, not you, and that you can't force her to succeed in school. She may decide it's a good idea to do so later on, but either way this is on her shoulders.

If the school failed to help with the IEP, then get an advocate and hope it's a good one. I found that once high school started, even with an IEP the kids are expected to do more and more on their own and get less help. At least, that is how it was for both Sonic and Jumper. Sonic retained his IEP, but did more and more on his own. Jumper was changed to a 504 and barely used it. I don't know if it's like that in most schools, but they both got the message...you're growing up so you have to handle more and more stuff yourself, even with disabilities.

Hugs and I'm sorry you are so stressed. Is there an alternative school in your area? We have one and it's pretty good for kids who just don't cope well in a conventional environment. Some kids who were never expected to graduate did so in this different school setting. If your community offers one, you may want to check it out.

L

Liahona

I like to read, watch a movie, internet for hours. You know mind numbing stuff that you don't have to think. I've also heard of exercise and gardening helping. Just get your mind to let go for a few hours.

I know this can be really hard to do.