Prank calls.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child has just learned to use the phone.

He has been prank calling me on my cell phone all morning.:tongue:

I love progress.

Lothlorien

Well, at least he'll have your cell number memorized!

Remember the days before caller id? My friends and I would spend hours pranking strange phone numbers. All in good fun, nothing malicious. Just a bunch of silly 10 to 12 year olds with nothing better to do.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He calls me and says "I don't know who you are!" or "Hi! Bye!" and hangs up, then runs to me and tells me it was him. As if I didn't know. lol

I gave him my mom's number. He's calling her now. lol

KTMom91

Remember when you could play songs using the phone keys? A friend of mine was happily playing a little tune, hit the dial button, and was rewarded with a voice speaking Chinese (or something similar). Her folks were not amused when they got the bill.

DammitJanet

Teach him to call your mom and ask her if her refrigerator is running. Then tell her if it is she better go catch it! LOL.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I remember the days before Caller ID only too well!!!

But now all you have to do is block your number. on the other hand, it can still be traced...

Red Chief

Remember the days before caller id?

I sure do! My dad used to have this phone microphone. It was a suction cup that you stuck to the back of the receiver & you could record a phone conversation. My friends and I wasted a lot of hours recording our prank calls. Most of them weren't really funny, but it was fun to us.

My parents were one of the first people to get caller ID in our city. One of my older brothers used to have a stalker female friend that would call at all times of the day & night. She would just sit there on the line & not say anything. Occasionally she would ask for him, but other than that-silence. It was still quite annoying. My parents called the phone company several times hoping to get something done about it. Of course, they couldn't do anything but suggest caller ID when it came to our area. When we got the number that was pranking us, then they would do something.
All of the calls stopped after a 2 AM phone call from her after the caller ID was active. My mom called the number back & gave her what for!

Andy

LOL - I love the refridgerator prank - a very good one for our little ones to use.

So, what does Grandma think?

Years ago in my single life, I had a phone number where the last four digits could spell out a four letter word (which happens to be my Diva's favorite and the one I have the least tolerance for). So, there was a time when I was getting several calls from kids who thought it important that I knew this information. "Did you know that your phone number spells ____?" CLICK. Very annoying. I would rather have heard the refridgerator one.

Red Chief

Years ago in my single life, I had a phone number where the last four digits could spell out a four letter word (which happens to be my Diva's favorite and the one I have the least tolerance for). So, there was a time when I was getting several calls from kids who thought it important that I knew this information. "Did you know that your phone number spells ____?" CLICK. Very annoying. I would rather have heard the refridgerator one.

Sorry about that!;)

I thought I was giving you important info that you didn't already know.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
LOL. That's funny.

Janet, easy child 1 taught him the refrigerator one. He invited a friend over this afternoon and when the friend's mom got on the phone, he asked if her fridge was running.

He has to really work to think of the punch line, tho. Its hysterical. And he tells you to chase it instead of catch it.

Grandma's amused. She doesn't mind, cause she knows he's "practicing".

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother says that one that was "in" back when she was growing up in England, was to phone a tobacconist and ask if they had "Prince Albert(kind of pipe tobacco) in a can?"

When the tobacconist said, "Yes, of course!"

The kids would tell him to "Let him out!!"

Andy

Red Chief quote: "Sorry about that!;) I thought I was giving you important info that you didn't already know."

Thank you Red Chief! :) ROFL

I love the Prince Albert one also!

donna723

We actually used that "Prince Albert in a can" line many times when I was a kid. We thought it was hysterically funny and that we were so very clever!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah. This dates back to when people first started getting home telephones in Britain, so it's a real oldie. I guess it goes to show that give a kid new technology and they will figure out how to be obnoxious with it. LoL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We used to do the ones with the messed up names, but for the life of me, I can't remember them now! Very frustrating. (Wee wouldn'nt get those, anyway but I thought they were funny)

flutterby

Fly away!
We would go through the phonebook and find someone with the last name Pringle. Then call them up and say, "I've got the fever for the flavor of a Pringle". Click. (Remember the old Pringle commercials?)

We thought we were sooooo clever.