Prayers for Travis Please

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I decided to post this here because Travis needs all the prayers he can get at this time.

The polycythemia vera is becoming profound. For those that don't know, don't feel bad it's a rare condition and even rarer in someone his age. It is a type of non malignant cancer that causes the bone marrow to produce too many blood cells, mainly red blood cells but also white blood cells. Without proper treatment the disease is normally terminal within a 3 yr span, often from blood clots, and can also develop into a more severe form of luekemia.

Travis hasn't had treatment since he lost his insurance in 3 years. I've tried and tried to get him to save what money he makes to get to the oncologist. He won't. At first it was because he was in denial. husband and I just couldn't/can't pay for it.

And yes I've carried the guilt of that for all this time.

If the oncologist didn't come from cincy, the cost could've been covered via the county due to low income statis. But the doctor isn't actually associated with the hospital or clnic. She comes here out of need and kindness. So the cost wouldn't be covered. Believe me, I tried and tried.

We kept praying he'd get insurance. First thru walmart, then thru krogers. Krogers won't give him enough hours to qualify.

Standing or sitting Travis' hands are always blood red, and indication the disease is in the latter stages. He is often dizzy, really dizzy, has massive headaches, vision disturbances (means alot more in someone legally blind). He is just now well after being horribly sick the whole winter. And this is my child who other than his dxes NEVER gets sick. I'm serious. NEVER. All winter I've begged him to go to doctor because I'm worried it might have progressed into the leukemia.

Now he has stopped the denial. And now it might be too late.

Thanks to Nichole being on the welfare insurance I discovered there is a chance Travis can qualify via his being legally blind. easy child and I are in the process of doing the paperwork. Travis has finally decided to cooperate with it.

So prayers needed they give it to him. This boy needs treatment yesterday!

And easy child is going to pin down the social worker at her hospital (another county) and the oncologists there and see if hopefully that county would let Travis qualify for treatment to be paid due to low income in case welfare turns him down.

The guilt is weighing heavily on me. Travis keeps mostly to himself when he is not working. I hadn't noticed until recently these new symptoms. I have no idea how long it has been that way. But his hands and feet are so red it looks like he burned them and now you can't miss it.

Seriously. I can't believe I didn't notice. And now I'm really beating myself up about not being able to convince him to get to the doctor sooner.

So prayers needed for the insurance or county coverage, as well as that the disease hasn't progressed quite as far as it appears. I was hoping I was over reacting, but easy child is just as worried as I am, so evidently I'm not.:pouting:

dreamer

Oh my goodness! You definetly have my prayers, I am praying hard he gets some funding/coverage! ANd that maybe it is not as bad as you fear. Yikes, hugs and hugs and hugs!!!!!

klmno

I'm so sorry, Lisa- you are both in my prayers.

I hope he finds a way to get the help he needs. Can he find a way to get in the ER- would that do any good?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am thinking of your whole family during this most difficult time... I can hope Travis can be helped and supported by the Medical community the way he needs as quickly as possible!
{{{{HUGS}}}}

nvts

Lisa! I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this.

Listen: with the variety of issues that Travis has, the blood problems., the blindness, the cerebral palsy, I dug around on the web and found the following link:

http://www.cerebralpalsy.org/cerebral-palsy-assistance/ohio/

There is a list of offices that deal with the cerebral palsy aspect of things.

Here's what I'm thinking. If you go through the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities OR through foundations for each of his diagnosis', you may be able to get an advocate for him that will be able to solve the medical coverage issues.

They may also be able to set something up where the Dr. that is able to help him can be utilized to consult through a local Oncologist.

I don't know if I'm suggesting things that you've tried, but maybe you'll be able to get a foot in the door with ONE (or hopefully more) of the various organizations that are out there.

Even if you start with OMRDD for info about transitioning from school to the outside world, it would be a start for finding out about medical.

Let me know if I can help with any of the research!

You're all in my thoughts and prayers!

Beth

4sumrzn

My thoughts & prayers are with Travis & your family. Hopefully something will come along quickly & he can get the help he needs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lisa,

Will continue to hold you, Travis and your family in our prayers.

I think nvts did some wonderful research for you - I hope there is some help in it.

Hugs
Star

Fran

Former desparate mom
I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be. Sending lots of positive thoughts that Travis receives the treatment he so desparately needs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Beth

Thanks for those links. I have tried MRDD before, but heck it can't hurt to try again. I'll check them out.

easy child also reminded me that Travis has dropped a huge amt of weight over the past 2 or so months, although eating habits/ect are the same.

Thanks for the prayers.

nvts

Lisa! Try going through United Cerebral Palsy! They're wonderful and even if they can't handle the situation, they have "in's" all over the place!

Let me know if I can help!

Oh, Lisa. I am so sorry.

Yes, I do have a few words. Stop the guilt. Stop, stop, stop. You can't fix yesterday. Work on tomorrow. Please don't do this to yourself.

Lots of prayers and hugs for you and your boy.

B

butterflydreams

My prayers are definitely with Travis and your whole family.

Christy

donna723

Lisa, I am so sorry that he's having such problems. My prayers are with you, Travis, and your whole family.

I don't know what their criteria is, but is he too old to be treated at St. Jude's in Memphis?