Prayers needed for brother in law...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband's youngest sister's husband, age 46, was just diagnosed with both a basal cell carcinoma and a melanoma (the deadly kind) last week. They don't yet know the extent of the cancer. He goes in tomorrow morning for surgery to remove the rest of the affected area (both lesions were on his face), have plastic surgery to repair the wound from the excision, as well as to locate the nearest lymph node to remove and biopsy it as well.

We are hopeful it was caught early and has not spread beyond the spot on his face -- he is naturally freaking out right now.

Please keep him in your thoughts, prayers, rattle beads, get your chicken livers out, etc.

Thank you!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh my, I hope it goes well. I am sending all of my best strongest vibes to your family.
Prayers and hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Prayers being said, chicken liver at the ready. Not a good spot. I hope they can get it all.

(((hugs)))

house of cards

I had a melanoma removed from the back of my neck a few years back. I'm glad I didn't realize how serious it was. I had the enlarged mole for about a year before it was removed. The dr said I was very, very, very, very lucky.

For my part, I actually fell asleep during the removal. I will pray that all goes well and brother in law can move on with his life although he will need to get checked regularly.

klmno

Ohhh Noooo! I'm sorry- I will keep you, husband, and the family in my thoughts. Well wishes being sent....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone.

It took a little over an hour for the first part of the surgery (removal of the rest of the lesion area to make sure they got all of it, plus they removed 2 sentinal lymph nodes), then another 2 hours worth of plastic surgery to repair the big hole in his cheek. Looks like the nodes were clean, so they think they got all of cancerous area and won't have to go looking further. sister in law says he'll just have a pirate face ;) but it was well worth it for the good news they got from the biopsies.

So I'll take this opportunity to remind EVERYONE to WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN!!! And pay attention to suspicious moles or spots, especially if they bleed, ooze, are irregular in shape, color, etc. In other words, don't be an ostrich, because if caught early, skin cancer can be treated.

My brother had melanoma (yes, the deadly kind) on his forearm when he was in his early 20's. So you're never too young (or old) to be careful about your skin.

Okay, off my soapbox now! :D

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad it all sounds good and prayers offered that it got all the cancer out.

Wiz had a mole on his temple that was very large. The docs kept telling me I was nuts, but we documented it growing using a digital camera and a metric ruler.

He had to have it taken off and they were surprised because it WAS cancerous, but not an aggressive one. the doctor was SURE it wasn't, and that I was just being over protective. But with it growing they could take it off through the insurance.

He was about 10 at the time.

I second the order to USE YOUR SUNSCREEN. Apply a shotglass worth if you are in a swimsuit, and REAPPLY!!! The sunscreen in makeup is great, but if you are spending the day outside you really need to reapply!