Prayers needed for my brother in law

Wiped Out

Staff member
My sister emailed me this morning that her husband is in ICU in Minnesota. He had not been feeling well since last Friday, very tired, shortness of breath. My sister was working 12 hour shifts over the weekend and when she was finally home she listened to his breathing with her stethoscope (she's a nurse) and told him they were going to ER or Urgent Care.

He chose urgent care who then sent him to the ER. His heart was in Afib (not sure if that is spelled correctly). They gave him beta blockers and blood thinners (his heart rate was sky high along with his blood pressure). Then they sent him home with directions to see a cardiologist with-in 48 hours.

She e-mailed us back a day later saying he was still tired but probably going back to work the next day. This morning the email said he was in icu and his heart was still in Afib.

Any prayers or bead rattling, or body crossing would be much appreciated.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Afib is not a good thing but no where near as dangerous as Vfib......which kills you. However I'm glad he's under medical care where they will watch him because Afib can throw a person into Vfib if they don't get it under control with medications. Depends on what type too I think. Or rather the cause. My instructor's Dad had Afib for years........he was so kind as to come in one day for us to get to listen to hear what it really sounds like.

Afib means his atria (the upper two chambers of the heart) are fluttering instead of giving the normal good solid beat.

Prayers going up for brother in law and his wife as well.

(((hugs)))

Marguerite

mother in law has problems with atrial fibrillation at times. Last Christmas her heart was fibrillating and she didn't tell us for two days because she didn't want to end up in hospital and miss the festivities with family staying. She waited until family were heading home, before she would agree to go to hospital. She was then in hospital for a few days before they decided to shock her heart back into normal rhythm (since nothing else was working).

Hugs for your family. He will be OK now the doctors are on the job.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for the prayers, they are very much needed. My sister emailed me last night that he was transferred to another hospital with a telemetry unit saying that they discovered he has cardiomyopathy and that his heart is working at 50% right now.

svengandhi

My husband has had this a couple of times. The next to last time he was put on medications. I didn't have a medical expense reimbursement account at the time so I wasn't monitoring how often his prescriptions were being filled. I got an account a couple of months ago and he assured me that he had just filled it.

Turns out that he didn't like the side effects so he stopped taking the medications. I found this out when I got a call from daughter that she was taking him to the ER. He was in for 2 1/2 weeks that it took to stabilize his afib. It also turned out that what he had been claiming was Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (from his ONE visit to Ground Zero) was actually asthma that he had been ignoring.

Anyway, he is now taking his medications regularly and is doing much better. When your brother in law gets out, he has to take the medications.

Good luck.

Mattsmom277

I don't really know much about heart conditions, I hope this new hospital unit has some solutions to get him back up to normal. I'll be sure to keep him and you all in my thoughts and prayers. How is your sister doing with it all?

Wiped Out

Staff member
He still in the hospital. They are running more tests today and tomorrow and hopefully he will be released Monday evening or Tuesday morning. They still need to make sure there are no blood clots in the heart.

Mattsmom- Thanks for asking about my sister. I haven't actually talked to my sister. I've left her a couple of voice mails and she has been emailing. She seems very together although in her last email did admit to it be a very draining week. She always is the type to remain calm in a crisis (probably why she makes such a good nurse).

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for all the prayers. He is still in the hospital. They did find a blood clot in his heart. They are waiting for results on some biopsies they did. If all goes well with the biopsies he will probably be released tomorrow-if not it will need to be and even longer time.

klmno

I'm sorry I overlooked this thread before, Sharon. I hope he can come home soon and am glad she got him to the hospital when she did. ((HUGS))

TerryJ2

Sharon, I'm sending good thoughts to MN. I have a special Good Thought connection between MN and VA because I was born and raised in MN. :)

Sounds like your brother in law is in good hands and that this was caught in time.

Jena

sharon

hi. i'm sorry i'm so late to this and missed it. yes sounds like your sister is together and really good during crisis makes sense she is a nurse. he's fairly young, yes? did i miss that, read thru all the posts quickly. well i'm sending my prayers to all you guys. dealing with-heart issues is scarey stuff. it's great she found it, caught it and reacted so quickly and well with it. that could make all the diff.

keep us updated and good luck!! :)