Prayers needed for my mom

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. Mom seems to be doing o.k. physically. Her memory has been quite affected by all of this, especially her short term memory. She will ask me the same thing several times in a short period of time. A bit of her longer term memory has been affected as well. She doesn't remember at all that her twin sister had a heart attack a couple of months ago. When her mom (who turned 98 yesterday) mentioned it my mom thought that she had been keeping it from her.

I decided to come home for a bit because I have a feeling I will need to be making more trips in the near future. None of the three of us kids live in town. My brother is the closest (about an hour away) and he has three foster kids living with him and my sister in law. I live just over two hours away and have to go back to work on Monday (I can't take a lot of time off and want to do it when it will be the most helpful to my mom. My sister lives about 6 hours away. She is a nurse and knows all the right questions to ask and can be a good advocate for my mom. She is going to try to get some time off of work so she can visit Monday or Tuesday.

On Monday they will move my mom to a rehab facility for a period of time (don't know how long-Mom seems to think about a week or two). Then we will have to decide whether or not she can go back to living by herself.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and good thoughts-it means a lot.

DammitJanet

She may be right about going home in a week or two. I know the rehab I was in had a stroke wing. There was the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) wing where I was, the Head and Spinal injury wing, the stroke wing and the physical rehab wing.

Even with Tonys very small stroke, and he had a small stroke not a mini stroke, he had some confusion and loss of memory for up to 4 weeks. He still has some residual personality changes that he will not admit to such as a much quicker anger trigger and he forgets he tells me things and blames it all on my memory problems. It can get pretty intense here because he blames my memory and I blame him. But I know Im right!

H

HaoZi

That's rough stuff WO. I remember my mom's stroke, and along with the short term memory issue came some major personality changes later on. She was legally blind, so we ended up getting her several of those talking clocks around the house because she would constantly ask what time it was. She would also start arguments with my Dad over things that had happened or not happened 20 years ago, or that she dreamed about. Usually in the middle of the night at the top of her voice. Jekyll/Hyde stuff.