Prime time TV

The one with the roller coaster...my gawd it is so stupid...the premise is that it stops so many leaks that it will protect you whether your life takes you up (as the roller coaster car goes up), down (cue roller coaster car going down) or upside down (and of course the famous loop de loop). It is computer animation, and the pad unfolds to take up the entire length of the car.

I feel my IQ drop when I watch it.

DammitJanet

I informed my lil pain in the rear that he could only have toxic shock if he had been inserting my tampons in places they were not meant for him to be inserting them!!!

He got this really confused look on his face for a few moments then it changed to horror...then bright red embarrassment as he quickly denied ever doing that icky deed...lmao.

Janet, that was hilarious, and it reminds me of something that happened to me.

When I was five my mother and little brother and I went on a train trip. The lavatory had a dispenser with a box marked "sanitary napkins". I asked my mom how come the napkins were in the bathroom instead of in the dining car? After she figured out what I was talking about she cracked up. She managed to tell me that these were a different kind of napkins, which I did not find to be a satisfactory explanation, but it was all I got. After we got to my grandma's house, when I was supposed to asleep, I heard my mom tell my grandma about it and they both were :rofl: . I was mystified at what was so darn funny.

Star*

call 911........call 911
hwga -

If you were raised to believe in nothing - what do you have to fear? If you fear nothing? What could be a consequence that would affect you to the point that you would consider changing your behavior or point of view?

Todays tv writers and for that matter majority of people - have no fear - there are few people willing to go against the grain and say "THAT IS WRONG, YOU CAN'T SAY THAT, I don't care HOW sensitive you're trying to be or HOW all encompassing you wish to appear." Instead - we just slink back in the shadows, complain and hope no one thinks WE are the biggot or come off as sanctimonious.

In fewer words - If you do not stand for something - you will fall for anything.

Our television has seemingly fallen - and along with it a nation that says "Well I'd better not speak out - someone will think I'm pushing my views down their throat, or I'll offend someone." How about OFFENDING ME? How about what I think and feel and believe not counting for anything anymore? I'd just like to know when THAT happened.

I maintain - people are sheep. - Sheep without a shepard tend to be scattered.

So now the question is What do you do about it? And if you Do do something about it - how do you get people to follow?

meowbunny

I'm with BBL on this one. Much better to find suitable Bratz dolls (or whatever the next rage will be) and use the unsuitable for discussions.

I allowed my daughter to watch The Simpsons. I found it a great tool to discuss the love in the family, what was dysfunctional, why Bart was inappropriate, etc. I really prohibited very little in the sexual categories. The only real rule was we watch it together and discuss any questions she had and any issues I had.

What was banned in my home was violence. Now, I love violent movies -- the more gratuitous violence, the happier I am. However, I did not want her to think people died and were up and about the next day. I did not want her to believe that violence was even remotely acceptable. (I was very careful to only watch them when she was sound asleep or away from home.)

I've basically given up on the "major" stations prime time or not except for any of the CSI shows. I'd much rather watch TCM or Bravo. Even then my definition of watching televisions is that it's background noise.

All in all, I think my "permissiveness" worked. She was never promiscuous although many of her peers were. She has never worn provocative clothing and basically sneers at the girls who do, feeling there are better ways to attract boys.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We lived without a TV for years. Personally, I'm just not a big watcher. I'd rather read a book. The kids needed to do other things as well.

Finally got one about 5 years ago. All I watch is Animal Planet and husband watches CNN.

It's amazing how things have changed in one generation. Words they say now would NEVER have been on TV when I was a kid.

Abbey

KTMom91

I remember...that makes me sound so old...and I don't think I am...when "cable TV" was a bad thing, and having cable meant you were exposing your family to unspeakable horrors. Now, the only things we watch on network TV are Dancing with the Stars and local news. We just got DishTV, because Comcast cost WAY too much for what we were getting, and I am loving it! We have the blocks on, for R ratings and up, and no PayPerView, because there are things Miss KT doesn't need to be watching, even if she is almost 17.