Principal called

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I asked for communication.

She was checking in to see how Wee is doing at home since the new changes. While I applaud the effort...what is she really expecting to do with the info?

Unbeknownst to her, I spoke with sped teacher today. Things are going well, but he has been heightened at school. So for giggles, I asked principal how things were at school. According to her, things are perfect. Hasn't had a single concern.

Hmmmmm

susiestar

Roll With It
Do NOT give ANY information that is more than noncommital. Do NOT trust them. They have shown more than once that Wee's best interests are the LAST thing on their agenda. I am thankful that he seems to have sp ed teacher who cares and maybe it is for the best that the principal is told things are just fine.

There is something else going on. I have no doubts about that. What an odd phone call for a principal to make.

slsh

member since 1999
Shari - document this very carefully.

To me, this isn't "communication." It's crossing a boundary. How things are going at home is absolutely none of principal's business.

I know I'm having probably a PTSD-like knee-jerk reaction here, LOL. It never ceased to amaze me how far over the line some educational staff felt they had the right to go - the best was when I discovered they were *weighing* Boo on a weekly basis. To say I hit the roof is an understatement.

Just because your child has an IEP does not mean your family/home life has become public domain.

She *could* have honestly been concerned about fallout at home, but... I'm skeptical of her motivation, especially since she didn't "communicate" the same info to you that sped teacher did, and it (to cynical me) sounds like she was fishing. For what, who knows.

Just my paranoid opinion. ;)

ETA: I was posting as Buddy and Susie were. Not sure if I feel better or worse that I'm not the only one suspicious of her motives, LOL. It sure is a sorry statement of the relationship that a lot of us have/had with- our sped staff.

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't like having to be that suspicious. I just think the staff at Shari's school have EARNED that suspicion through a LOT of inappropriate behavior toward Wee and toward Shari and the rest of the family. I know I am maybe biased but they have shown very little understanding of boundaries and appropriate behavior, intervention and accommodations. I would LOVE to see what a video of what really happens at that school would say.

slsh

member since 1999
Oh, I absolutely agree, Susie. It's just so sad because I don't think any of us went into our first IEP mtg with- the distrust that some of us have now. I know I wanted to believe that they would look at my kids' needs *and* abilities and build on that. It's a shame that the cumulative effect of dealing with- sped issues for so many years is that, by the time thank you became a sped kid, I didn't trust the majority of the "team" members and in fact, it was incredibly difficult to work with alleged professionals who didn't know diddly squat about my kids' needs *or* abilities. I'm very bitter about it, especially when it comes to Boo. Hopefully someday I'll get over it. ;)

There were a few good guys, and Shari's super may be one of them, but they are just so few and far between (in my experience).

DammitJanet

Ive never had a principal call my house.

Ok...I take that back. I didnt have one call my house but I did have one great one come to the hospital when Jamie was in a fire. He is still a very nice man today who takes a great interest in the boys and their kids today. Doesnt hurt that he is distantly related to them.

InsaneCdn

Well... in our house, we HAVE had the principal call. FAR too often.
Here, that means... kid in major trouble.

Obviously, this wasn't THAT kind of call, and I wouldn't be sure what's up, either, but...

T

TeDo

Well... in our house, we HAVE had the principal call. FAR too often.
Here, that means... kid in major trouble.
Ditto this one!!

Shari, the principal has absolutely earned the suspicion. I got the feeling she was fishing too. Glad the SpEd teacher is at least being "honest" with you.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I had asked for communication...I took it to mean it would be a cold day in you know where before I talked to the sped to get that info. But whatever. It was weird.

Last year's principal showed up at my house once to deliver a report from an incident at school. Shocked me. I told them I wanted reports on the same day...by golly I got 'em!