Products to clean the toilet

F

flutterbee

It's funny how I used to scoff at some of the new products out there. Like the Mr Clean shower cleaner thing, for example. I couldn't believe that anyone would pay that kind of money when it only takes a little comet and 10 minutes a week to scrub the shower. Well, I can't scrub the shower anymore so I have the Mr Clean thing. I love it.

I've always used comet and a scrub brush to clean the toilet and I just can't do it anymore. I scrubbed the toilets tonight and by the time I was halfway through the first one, I could barely hold the scrub brush anymore. The area between my thumb and finger was swollen at least 2 1/2 times the normal size. By the time I was done, I couldn't even turn the door knob.

I know my grandmother used to use a product that you placed in the tank (I think) and it ran a cleaner through every time you flushed. However, I worry about Baby Abbey. We are really good about keeping the lid down, but if the kids have friends over it might get left up. Baby Abbey has a thing for toilets. She loves to watch them flush and then drink out of them. Weirdo.

So, I'm wondering what you guys use that requires as little manual labor on my hands as possible, but that I won't have to worry about with the pets.

It's called, you have a 12 and a 16 year old living in the house.

Buy some SnoBol, show them how to squeeze it, and make that one of their chores!

jamrobmic

The Works toilet bowl cleaner really works well, and it's pretty cheap. Pour it in, let it stand a few minutes, then slosh it around with a sponge. We have extremely hard water here, and it even gets those marks off. I've read that those things you put in the tank to keep them clean can damage your toilet and make it start leaking eventually.

nvts

I use that thick stuff that clings to the bowl. You squirt it on, leave it and it disinfects, cleans and deodorizes.

I think the stuff that your mom used was thank you-d-bowl. Remember the guy in the "Mr. Howell" from "Gilligan's Island" kind of outfit floating around in the toilet tank?

There are all kinds of things you can add to the tank on the market. It should be easy to see if they harm animals!

Beth

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I'll send you K and a bottle of KABOOM!!! She will clean your toilet, shower, floors... only when in the mood so you have to have her around for awhile... but she gets into it!!! She likes to mop the floors naked!!! Sits inside the shower to clean it... doesn't get in the toilet like Mr. Howell though...

Put those kids to work... what BBK said !!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The clorox magic wand thingie works wonders. :smile:

I was amazed at how well it does. Before that I used saniflush, which also works wonders but I don't like to have it around little ones.

I love my comet. But I have a new shower/tub and sinks that will be ruined with comet. Have to use the expensive softscrub instead. And I hate softscrub. Leaves a residue no matter how much I rinse it.

Oh, and I love my Mr Clean shower wand. :smile:

Star*

call 911........call 911
4 Efferdent tablets works well. I'm with BBK though-12 and 16 yo can scrub the toidy! If youa re looking for something that will clean without brushing there is a foamer cleaner on the market but I have not tried it. Curious to see if anyone else has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyntersgrace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Baby Abbey has a thing for toilets. She loves to watch them flush and then drink out of them. Weirdo.</div></div> At least she waits until it's been flushed to drink out of it lol

I use just regular clorox toilet cleaner and an old fashion scrub brush which i clean after each cleaning with clorox

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I'm with BBK - no reason your kids can't take over this chore (and all others!) at this point. My goodness, in my opinion, they should have already offered! Not that mine would...lol.

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wyntersgrace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's funny how I used to scoff at some of the new products outBaby Abbey has a thing for toilets. She loves to watch them flush and then drink out of them. Weirdo.
</div></div>

Tell me about it. We had to keep the bathroom shut and locked because one of my little explorers thought the toilet was for dipping pacifiers and toothbrushes in. Major gross!

goldenguru

True story -

When my son was about two, he found an old drinking straw somewhere. I found him leaning over the toilet sucking the water through the straw. Thankfully it was flushed.

I didn't win any mother of the year awards that year. LOL.

F

flutterbee

Baby Abbey is my kitten with kidney disease. She needs lots of water and even though their water dish is always full, I don't stop her from drinking out of the toilet. Even if their water dish is half full and I refill it, she's sitting in the spot waiting for me to put it back down. I flushed it about 6 times, though, to make sure any residue was gone before I let her up, though. She's a fast thing. Wasn't easy running interference. LOL

When easy child was little I walked into the bathroom to find him playing in the toilet with his bath toys. Thankfully, it was flushed cause he was wet up to his elbows.

T - a kid that cleans! I'll take her. Tell you what...I'll even send you easy child AND difficult child. A two-for-one deal. Aren't I generous! :devil:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Very generous... what about using an all natural cleaner? Like one of those orange cleaners or simply green??? You would still have to scrub... Oh wait I mean K would still have to scrub but then if Baby Abbey was gonna take a dip or drink she would be OK...

When I let k scrub things and she is in a weird mood I have a scrub made up of, Borax and castille soap the castille soap is scented lavender... it is Mr. Browns I think but it is safe and non- toxic... so if K gets too close she wont pass out!!! Or in the shower...

I'll send some with her when she shows up!!!

Your kids like lounging around eating bon-bons and playing videos, watching tv... that's all we usually do. Lot's of presents too...

SRL

My cat loves water, but he wanted it fresh from the sink areas (and the kitchen table!) so we finally quit giving him a regular dish because all that was happening was it was getting spilled from us stepping on it. His regular water is a plastic glass in the bathroom between the tub and stool plus he often hops up and gets a drink out of the utility sink faucet when we're down there. When we're away for longer periods I stop up the tub and fill some water in there.

susiestar

Roll With It
My parents have 3 cats. My baby (the middle one) LOVES water, but will only drink running water. And he is scared of the fountain thingys. The pet ones make a noise that bugs him, the others go too fast or have lights.

So he likes to drink out of my parent's bathroom sink.

Guess where the newest (but WAYYYYYYYYYY largest) cat has decided is the BESTESTEST napping spot in the house?? My parent's stainless steel bathroom sink!! You can even turn the water on a little and he just looks at you like "So??? What????" And goes back to SLEEP!!

I find this to be hilarious, mostly because they do not wake ME up at night!!

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
There is a new commercial out for some cleaner - maybe Lysol??????

Anyway the theme is : Kids don't tell you what they do and this one little boy leans over and tells the other little boy:

I play with my boats in the water (flash a picture of the toilet)

Having a difficult child of course my brain heard something different and fired off my mouth about the dang thing to friends and family one night.

I said "This is the NASTIEST commercial I have ever heard. It even beats the tampax one where she shoved a tampon in a leaking boat" and everyone sat there mouth opened and said "Well Star what is wrong with it? It's cute."

I said "WHY in heavens name would ANY COMPANY be stupid enough to put 2 boys together and let the one say "I play with my poops in the toilet?"

Substitute poops for boats and THERE you have it.

No one will EVER EVER EVER let me forget this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: totoro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She likes to mop the floors naked!!! </div></div>
mine likes to vaccum naked