progress so far....(court issue)

buddy

Got ahold of the officer and she was surprised, said she had never been contacted but she had written a report saying he was disabled etc. She is going to call and find out the name of the prosecutor and see if she can explain that he wont be able to handle this.

Got ahold of the person covering for our case manager, she said that they have someone in their office who works with their clients when the prosecuting dept is involved so she is going to check with them and also wants to hear what the officer says, she will then herself call the prosecutor.

The neuro said that she wants to talk to the prosecutor so I told her I'll send her the name as soon as I get it.

The teacher already wrote a letter and here is what he said:
July 1
To Whom It May Concern,
My name is ----------, Program Facilitator for the ------Program with Intermediate School District -----. This is a program developed for students who need customized educational programming. In the program, students are taught in a highly structured, individualized setting with an almost 1 to 1 ratio of student to staff. These students have been referred to Intermediate School District ---- from their home school districts because their educational needs could not be addressed in the local district.
This letter is to address the specific needs of Q------. He has been a student with us for approximately 4 months. In that time he has made progress in controlling his strong feelings but we still observe him frequently becoming internally disorganized which leads to property destruction and at times physical aggression. Generally, his behaviors are triggered by misunderstanding of situations which arise on a daily basis. These misunderstandings are frequently prompted when he does not comprehend the language of those around him. He tends to use words to intimidate others when he feels threated, however these words are often just repeated phrases he has heard others use, and they sound “tough” to him. When these words do not work for him, then he resorts to using body language (physical aggression, property destruction) to show others how “tough” he is in a manner of “puffing up” like a porcupine. Often times, his words do not reflect his intent or match his actions. He has been observed to increase his volatility in relation to his feelings of insecurity or when his feels threaten or vulnerable.
His understanding of basic language is extraordinarily limited. When short reading passages are read to him, his comprehension is at the Pre-Primer level – meaning just above the understanding of single nouns. Words such as responsibility, compassion, or respect would only have the most basic understanding for him and would not be part of his repertoire of behavioral language. His brain injury at approximately 2 years of age would render it an impossibility to learn these concepts in a manner commensurate with his chronological peers.
His brain injury also limits his understanding of cause and effect. He struggles to understand how his behavioral choices impact those around him. If he destroys an item, he has very little immediate remorse, however remorse might be observed at a much later time, and not necessarily connected to his previous actions. According to records and our experience, he does not display the conceptual understanding of a reward system or other typical behavior modification techniques, either positive or negative making it difficult for him to consistently comply with adult requests. He is held responsible for his actions through a series of changes in his schedule, such as not attending a class for a day or two, or setting limits for specific activities
While Q has made progress, he continues to need a very customized program developed to meet his complex set of disabilities. He is currently being successful in this program because of the highly structured, individualized programming.
Sincerely,
----------

All done by 9:30 a.m. Now I sit and wait for further info I guess......

Malika

Fingers crossed that the case will be thrown out of court. The letter is persuasive. If a judge is not persuaded by it, he is an idiot. Or she, of course... :)

Last edited:
S

Signorina

Buddy - I continue to be amazed by your strength and grace under pressure.

I am holding you close in my thoughts and prayers.

YOU GO GIRL :)

Ktllc

You have lots of skilled professionals on your side. I truly believe it will end good for Q. Stay strong and soon it will all be over.

T

TeDo

Awesome job lady!!! You're lining up your ducks just as they should be lined up. Wonderful job!! Now, take a break, breathe, relax!! You've done all you can.......for now. *pat on the back*

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Buddy, I'm always moved and inspired by your quiet yet profound strength and courage. You stay centered and move ahead with only your love and protection of your son in your heart. You are truly a warrior Mom of the highest degree with special medals for your grace and compassion. I send you big hugs and prayers for a quick and easy resolution.

InsaneCdn

Prosecutor has so far only heard Psycho's side of the story.
Boy, is that poor prosecutor ever in for an earful...

Sending {{hugs}} and extra patience...

B

Bunny

That is a great letter. I hope that whoever reads it really understands what it's saying and that this case gets thrown out. Good luck!

pasajes4

I hope when all is said and done, the person who filed charges and the entity that he works for will be investigated for the improper treatment of severly disabled individuals.

JJJ

I hope when all is said and done, the person who filed charges and the entity that he works for will be investigated for the improper treatment of severly disabled individuals.

IIRC, the entity he works for is on Q's side and psychiatric was punished for his part in the whole debacle.

buddy

Thanks guys, he had told me when he wrote it that I would not like what it will say because it will say how truly disabled he is. I think he is still getting to know me because it was probably a reaction to the fact that I didn't like some of his IEP wording but I always have input on the IEP. For this I only asked that he not embellish and make it sound like even with current supports he should be locked away in some state institution (not yet anyway, LOL....really they may need a room for me at the end of all of this parenting stuff...then again, I probably dont get to have an end of parenting stuff so I might be safe from that).

I think he was super honest but also showed how he is where he needs to be. I also have his current progress report from our in home services, and he met all of his current goals, showing really good progress. His county risk management plan is attached to that, which shows that he always has direct trained supervision around him and lots of family support.

Our law advocate said that another client who had six felony sexual assault charges against him ( he has FASD and many challenges) went through this process twice and everything was dismissed. Though the second time it happened they dug up the first charges and put them all together, then it was all dismissed again.

JJJ is right, the highest admin in our district was very upset that psycho did this. I do think that the local admin, that is the principal from he11 that we all got to know so well from the IEP meetings, the one who actually said if Q had any of the behaviors identified in his FBA, and that were being worked on in the IEP and BIP, he would tell all of his employees to complain to HR and ...then he left the threat open. He was challenged on that and he too go spoken to by the director of principals for the district (lots of layers of admin, it is a huge district) and the director of sp. ed. (they have a director, then coordinators who manage several schools each, then each school has the Special Education staff with one admin on site who is their go to person for the school).... The suspicion is that because this principal allowed and encouraged psycho to take the lead in "dealing" with Q when he should have checked, maybe he even knew that this guy had not had any crisis management/prevention training for over a decade...he too got in some trouble. So likely he (and maybe the union rep or a lawyer) advised psycho to press charges to make it look in retrospect like he had good reason to be so aggressive.

Our neurologist wrote me an email and said she wants to talk directly to the prosecuting attorney asap to let her/him know that she will testify that he is not capable of going through this process, that it may harm him, and so I am still waiting for the officer to get back to me with the name. The substitute for our case manager is also waiting for that name, I am going to call her at 9 to see if she found out anything.

I suspect getting ahold of anyone after today will be next to impossible. It is likely that even the county prosecutor will not be available this week, if I can't find out helpful answers I am going to call the court administrator and see if there is a way to postpone this date.

Thanks for letting me share the boring details, it helps to print out my thoughts, I even slept last night.

I can't say enough thank yous for every post you write, I think it is better than an antidepressant for me, I get this chemical charge that lets me keep in touch with reality and just keep putting one foot in front of the other and take care of business. I'm trying to post on other threads, but am on the phone or email a lot...just know I am reading them, in the car while waiting, or at appointments, and saying prayers and sending positive vibes through the web!

buddy

If psycho still has a job working with these kiddos in any capacity, then justice has not been done MHO.

I agree and the law advocate is most concerned about that too. They are filing a dept of ed. complaint and also looking at his licensure. I can't even imagine how I will feel seeing him at this court appearance. Good thing for him I am a very peaceful person.

pasajes4

I am glad that the advocate is doing what needs to be done. I have worked in spec. ed. for 4 decades. It only takes one encounter with an incompetent mean spirited individual to undo any good that has been accomplished. For some kiddos, there is no recovery.

JJJ

Have you tried calling the court house with your case number and asking for the name of the ADA assigned to the case?