Proud but worried for difficult child

Wiped Out

Staff member
Twice in the past two weeks difficult child has told me about some things at school that have me concerned. Both times it seems he handled them well but it is still scary to me.

First he said some guys from school offered him some crack. He told them no. He told me that we had already had one relative in our family die from drugs we didn't need another (husband's brother died from a cocaine overdose 3 months before difficult child was born but we have told him the story many times).

Yesterday he told me that some guys asked him to join their gang. He also told them no. Both times he said he told teachers about it.

I'm very proud of him but I sure do worry because he is so easily swayed. Sigh...

ksm

I think you need to keep telling him how proud you are of how he handled things and that it will help you trust him in the future. Sometimes, I think other teens will try to get difficult child's in to trouble. Not sure if the other teens really had cocaine or in gangs, or just a lot of hot air, but he handled it well! KSM

buddy

That's a big deal. Really glad he took the right path. That's the scariest thing for me too. Lucky right now he is always with an adult......sigh.

DammitJanet

WO....do you think you are in an area or is difficult child in an area where that is a likely thing to have happened? I know he is in HS now but isnt he mostly in Special Education? Is his HS in a heavily gang invested area? Is there a heavy drug problem there especially with more than pot? I realize parents are the last to know but you being a teacher most likely can reach out to your school resource officer and alert them to this issue. If its true...bigger problem. If kids are making this up to try to get sped kids in trouble...big problem that also needs attention. Either way, someone needs look at this.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good questions, Janet. I'm not sure, I know there are indeed gangs at his high school. He is in a few regular ed classes like P.E. and art. I guess I have some investigating to do. Problem is, if difficult child finds out I've talked to anyone he will be furious! Hopefully the Special Education teacher can do it with-o talking to difficult child.