Proud of difficult child; hope for you still fighting the fight

muttmeister

I'm an old hand here and don't post much. Some of you old-timers may remember our struggles. difficult child 1 was a problem almost from the time he was born and I really thought that by the time he was 20 he'd either be in prison or dead. He will be 30 his next birthday. When he turned 21, he seemed to find himself and has done pretty well since then. He is still not a "normal" person but then, neither am I and I guess we're both proud of that. In any case, he is doing well and I think his story might give hope to some of you who need it.

He texted me last week; he said he'd just got paid and said "apparently the boss has given me a $2000 a year raise." He is a computer genius but says he can't work in that field because if the people he'd have to deal with so he manages a liquor store. The boss allowed him, a couple of years ago, to add a whole new smoke-shop section to the store and it is making them mega-bucks. There was a period where I was not too happy about him selling liquor and tobacco and accessories used to smoke whatever else but I guess, as it is all legal, I've learned to be OK with it. I any case, he is happy and productive and his boss appreciates him. So much better an outcome than I would have expected 20 years ago.

I guess the moral of this story is, don't give up. The end of your story hasn't been written yet and you never know how it is going to turn out.

Estherfromjerusalem

What a great post, Muttmeister! It is so good to read about your difficult child. You give us all hope for a reasonable future for our kids. Mine isn't doing as well as yours, but he is more or less OK (Marg has seen him and can tell you) and is managing his own life more or less independently.The bottom line is: We tried our best, and the rest is up to them.

Good for you!

Love, Esther