Psychiatrist Appointment Today

Catwmn

So today we went to the Psychiatrist and I described everything that has been going on with Aaron over the past month. I also told him that I had taken Aaron off of the Strattera two days ago.

Aaron was his usual OUT OF CONTROL, TALKING OUT OF HIS HEAD SELF...Running in circles, schreeching, and making strange noises...and the doctor said something that really made my heart break. :tissue: After speaking to Aaron for a little while he told me that he thinks Aaron is having hallucinations...Aaron kept telling him how at night Robots chase him(he's never said that to me)and that they are at school too and he talks to them...He told the doctor that the robots chase him and put knives in his stomach....and tell him to do bad things... My heart just leapt into my throat...

The psychiatric said that I did the right thing to take him off of the Stratterra(apparently sometimes in extreme cases it can cause psychosis in kids, AND suicidal ideation) and that we would leave him without it from here on out. He switched Aaron from Invega to Risperdal (an antipsychotic) and said that he wants to see us again on Wednesday to see if he is coming out of it at all. We are going Monday to get his labs done for the medication levels on the Depakote and Trileptal and get some other testing done...

The psychiatric is going out of town this weekend but gave me the number of a colleague that has a Children's Psychiatric Unit at a local psychiatric Hospital. He told me to watch for anything strange (like what's going on isn't strange enough as it is) and if I saw anything to take Aaron there immediately.

I am just so heartbroken right now. He said that he thought Aaron was having a Psychotic Break and he wasn't entirely sure it was because of the Strattera but we would know by Wednesday if he wasn't better by then. He put a call in to the Neuro(who is out of town until Monday) to let her know what was going on but there's nobody covering for her this weekend.

I'm just so sad and scared for him right now. Poor kid. I had no idea robots were chasing him at night....*sigh*

When does it get better? Will it get better? Will it get worse before it gets better? I just don't know anymore...

Thanks for listening to me vent...I'm so happy to have found you guys..

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad the psychiatrist was able to see your son having problems. I wish your son did not have them, but at least they were not hidden from the doctor. My difficult child always downplayed everything at the psychiatrist, so he didn't get the help he needed.

It hurts so much when our kids are hurting. I am sorry.

I wish I could tell you it would all be just perfect, but you know it would be a lie. I can tell you it will change.

He may need hospitalization. It would give him some intense help, and maybe that would be a way to get him to a stable point.

Hugs,

Susie

angels

Hi Catwmn,
Just read your post. I feel so sad for you and your son! How do you deal with that! It breaks my heart :crying:
I hope everything turns out well for him (hugs). Please let us know. <span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> </span>