Psychiatrist appointment

Dara

Hi all. Just wanted to give a quick update. Sammy had his psychiatrist visit today. I like the guy a lot. Basically he thinks that Sammy is not autistic. he is not so quick to put him in the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) category yet either but he is waiting on that one. He said lt like this: Sammy is extremely bright and does have developmental delays. To quote he said "Sammy is like a mazarti without the brakes or steering" I really like that analogy. The plan for right now is to get him all of his bloodwork that we have had done and his depakote levels and to schedule an EKG to make sure that everything is working properly. he is going to see us next week to start on some behavior plans. He agreed that the token system is not going to work on Sammy because he is apathetic to discipline and is very stubborn. he also told me that he doesnt cross the midline meaning that if you say touch your right finger to your left ear he just does the same side. I feel like this man understands Sammy pretty well. He told us that we have done an amazing job socializing him to the point that Everyone who has to deal with him on the outside is like He is so good and so cute and for us he is a mess. At least he thinks we are doing a good job! Hopefully next week we will have a plan so I am very happy!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you are getting testing done to figure out what is going on. It is also glad you like the doctor and will have a plan soon.

Hugs to all!

Andy

That is so great that you have such a great 1st impression of the psychiatrist. It is a good sign that he is not handing you a diagnosis without further tests and waiting to learn more about Sammy.

What a great appointment you have had! :)

TerryJ2

I'm glad you like your dr. He sounds like he's very upbeat and encouraging.
I hope it continues on the right track.

M

ML

This is great news. What a relief feeling that you found someone who gets your son. I'm very glad to hear this.

DammitJanet

Interesting that he doesnt pass midline. I wonder what that is a sign of. Maybe nothing...maybe its age related...lol.

smallworld

Dara, I'm confused. I thought you liked the neuro who was treating Sammy. What was the purpose in seeing a psychiatrist?

Psychiatrists sometimes prescribe medications for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), but they aren't generally the front-line health professionals for diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) is best diagnosed by a multi-disciplinary team at a children's or university teaching hospital, a pediatric neuropyschologist, a developmental pediatrician or a hospital-based autism clinic.

Dara

Small world, we are seeing the child Psychiatrist because we need help with his behavior. We love our neurologist and we see him regularly. This psychiatrist seemed to get Sammy immediately which is not something we have found in the childrens hospitals or anywhere else that we have been. The ABA approach is not working on his behavior at all. We have reached the end of our ropes on what to do at home and are looking for a new set of eyes with a new opinion and that is what we have found. We will be using the both of these doctors together to work and find help for Sammy and us. Basically, the psychiatrist has said that he is not so quick to put the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) label on Sammy. He is not sure that this is the case. We did talk about ADHD and Bipolar which has also been discussed with the neurologist and unfortunalty, Sammy is too young to test for these things so we need help with the behaviors in the meantime.
We have a nother appointment next week with the psychiatric and before then he wants us to get an EKG, test his thyroids and gather any other bloodwork and EEG that we have so he can make sure all is working well. I am very ethusiastic with this because he does not seem confused to the fact that Sammy is so well behaved at school and to the outside world and so poorly behaved at home.

Dara

I am very happy to find someone we like too! It seems that everyone has a different persepective on Sammy and sees something new so if we take what everyone that we are working with sees and put it all together, maybe we can put the pieces of this puzzle together and find the proper help for Sammy. I am hoping this works!!

TerryJ2

I've got my fingers crossed for you.
I know what you mean about someone putting the pieces of the puzzle together.