flutterby

Fly away!
Apparently there was some huge misunderstanding with the psychiatrist's office. I thought that I was supposed to go the first time alone, and then schedule difficult child. That didn't seem weird to me as that's how it's almost always been with every mental health professional she's seen.

But, no. I get there and fill out this huge mountain of paperwork. They come out to take difficult child's blood pressure and, of course, difficult child isn't there.

So, the psychiatrist talked to me and then asked me to bring difficult child back.

The psychiatrist seems nice enough, but I don't think she gets it. But, hell, she only talked to me for 30 minutes. Almost 15 years of history in 30 minutes? I did take copies of stuff I had, but she didn't look at them - at least not while I was there. She just didn't seem to get it.

She asked about lexapro and prozac and I told her that difficult child had taken them in the past and while I saw results, difficult child insists that they didn't work and if you try to give them to her again she is going to completely shut down and not come back - or not be medication compliant. I told her she could have at it if she wanted, but that difficult child would not be receptive. Not at this point in time.

She asked if there are consequences for the school difficult child has missed. Really? Did she not hear the part about "difficult child is shutting down"? She is already beating herself up for her anxiety being so overwhelming and missing school. What the hell does she want me to do? Add to it?

So, I don't think she gets it.

I brought difficult child back (a freaking fiasco that I'll post about on the WC) and she takes just difficult child back. psychiatrist saw difficult child for maybe 10 minutes and came out with a prescription.

1) I don't like that she prescribed medications without me being there. I expected her to talk to difficult child then call me back, too.
2) She prescribed Trazadone 50mg for sleep. That's ok. Then she prescribed Zoloft 25mg, once a day for a week, then BID.

I didn't think Zoloft worked for anxiety, for one. Second, they generally prescribe medications based on a first generation family member's reaction to a medication. Had she asked, I could have told her that Zoloft was a horrible, horrible, horrible medication for me. I hope it's not for difficult child. But, I don't like Zoloft. I just don't.

And of course I can't say this in front of difficult child because it will guarantee that reaction in her and will guarantee that it won't work - whether it does or not, Know what I mean??

So, I don't know what I think.

We go back March 4. I guess I'll see how it goes.

smallworld

I'm sorry the appointment was a disappointment. I wish it had gone better.

You're right that if a parent has a bad reaction to a medication, it is not generally rxed for her child. It's too bad the psychiatrist didn't ask you about Zoloft, but maybe difficult child will react differently.

All SSRIs, including Zoloft, are rxed for anxiety. So there's a chance it will work for difficult child. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Hugs.

crazymama30

Zoloft has been a godsend for my anxiety. Love it.

I can also say the the first family member's reaction to a medication does not always carry over. difficult child does great on Lamictal--husband could not, it activated his tardive. difficult child does great on abilify--husband did good but it activated his tardive once again. difficult child takes daytrana (a form of ritalin) and does well but did horrible on adderall--husband did not like how ritalin made him feel but does great on adderall.

Just to maybe give you some hope.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree two medications at once seems strange. I would not be happy about not talking to the psychiatrist about the prescriptions with easy child being only 14.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My BiPolar (BP) sister does very well on Lamictal. I started to hallucinate on it as soon as the dose reached 75mg.

I take Depakote. I think that while it may be good to look at family members' reactions to medication, one must always remember that responses to medications are an entirely individual thing.

flutterby

Fly away!
The Trazadone is PRN for sleep. I'm thankful for it because difficult child is really struggling with insomnia.

I didn't think about not knowing which one was working. Sigh... My brain is really not working today.

I'm trying to stay hopeful. difficult child and I do seem to react/respond differently to medications so I'm really hoping that Zoloft works for her. It would be so nice if we find something that works right out of the chute. And that's all I'm going to say so I don't jinx it.

flutterby

Fly away!
Also, I'm still on the waiting list for a psychiatrist at Children's. (I'm so glad I didn't ask to be removed.) So, worst case scenario, we'll switch if I feel like we need to.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, you should know in a week or two if it's going to help much (Zoloft). I hope it does and that it's as simple as that. Wouldn't that be great? I'll keep my fingers crossed...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
O that's always the worst when it feels as if the doctor is not paying attention! It totally shakes your confidence.

Hopefully, the next visit will be better...

--Daisyface

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Did she take the Trazadone yet. Just remember you can halve it if it knocks her out. She is small right?
I am on a lot of medications, for some people! LOL and I started with 50mg. i have pretty bad insomnia and it knocked me out!
Nothing else has worked long term for me except this. I have had to up the dose over time I think I take 150 to 200 depending on my mood.

I hope this works for her as well.

Remember she may be nervous as well as you. Hugs to you both.

janebrain

Just to add some hopeful info---my easy child son took Zoloft for generalized anxiety disorder and it worked well for him--also worked quickly, he felt different (in a good way) very soon after he started it.

My difficult child 1 took Trazedone to help with sleep issues and did very well on it. She had taken Seroquel before that but preferred the Trazedone.

I know everyone is different, just wanted to let you know our good experiences with those medications.

Jane

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you for sharing your experiences with this medication. It helps a lot. I'm biased because of my reaction to it in the past. It's good to know that it has helped others in this situation. Gives me hope.

Now that my stress and anxiety aren't through the roof, I understand why she prescribed the medications that she did. I told psychiatrist that taking medications is a source of anxiety for difficult child. These pills are teeny tiny.

And we're past the biggest hurdle - difficult child is willing to take them. We're not starting them until this weekend (the trazadone tonight and zoloft tomorrow) because I want to be able to watch her.

She has 2 teachers that I know are fully aware of difficult child's problems and are very interested in helping her. I think on Sunday night I'll email them and ask them to let me know if they notice any unusual behavior in difficult child - so I can have eyes in school, too. I'll be sure to let them know not to mention this to difficult child as...well, it just wouldn't be good as I'm sure you can imagine.

Thank you again, for your support and insight. I was not in a good place Wed and Thurs mentally, and you all have really helped.

:flowers:

KTMom91

Coming in late...hoping the medications work for her, and she can get some rest and be able to calm the anxiety.