psychiatrist declined

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by timer lady, Aug 23, 2008.

1. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

starting kt on a stimulant. Didn't want to mess with her stability; also didn't want kt to believe there was a pill to "fix" all her difficulties. Because there isn't. And in the end I believe he's right.

psychiatrist wants a report a month or 2 after school starts to see how she's doing. However, he & kt talked for 20 minutes or so. He told kt now is the time where grades are really important. And that kt is an intelligent young lady who has come a long way. She can, if she chooses, read her assignments (with help when necessary), or write her reports, whatever is asked of her. I sat back, listened & had little to offer (I'm mom & not cool enought to encourage kt right now).

kt walked out of psychiatrist's office beaming.

On the other hand, kt showed her typical teen 14 y/o girl antics. psychiatrist looked at me & said "aren't 14 y/o girls a PITA? kt kept asking what's a PITA, what's a PITA? psychiatrist looked at kt & told her to stop talking ~ told kt a PITA was exactly what kt was, just like his 14 y/o daughter. If kt thought that she & husband were arguing, kt should hang around his house. And he is a professional mental health care provider ~ he's ready to strangle his daughter. kt just laughed & said that what my dad says.

I guess we have more typical teen things going on & that's cool. psychiatrist feels we should continue using PCAs, Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers, whatever we have on hand. This will help kt stay on task & keep maturing. kt asked why it wasn't helping for wm; psychiatrist didn't & told kt he didn't have an answer for that. wm was just being wm.

It was one of our better & more optimistic appts with psychiatrist in a long time. by the way, being chauffered to & from a psychiatrist appointment is wonderful ~ mental health case manager is ready to do it again in December. I'm getting a bit spoiled here. I think I deserve it. How about you? :princess::rofl:
  2. klmno

klmno Active Member

That sounds pretty positive to me! psychiatrist sounds realistic and practical and I like the way he reinforced the typical teen PITA stuff going on.
  3. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

It sounds like a really good apt. Your psychiatrist sounds a little like ours, practical, honest, blunt and very realistic! But helpful. :)
    KT a typical teen what a wonderful thing to hear.
  4. Stella Johnson

Stella Johnson Active Member

I'm impressed with your psychiatrist. I wish I could have found one like this for my difficult child years ago.
    Sounds like she is doing really well.:bravo:

5. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sounds like a great psychiatrist appointment. The psychiatrist sounds wonderful! How great that kt walked out of there beaming! I totally agree with your psychiatrist-I'm ready to strangle my own teenage daughter-lately difficult child has been more fun to around than her!
  6. trinityroyal

trinityroyal Well-Known Member

Linda, what a great post. So wonderful to hear that kt is behaving more and more like a typical teen.
  7. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

Yes, psychiatrist is a keeper. He came into our family after wm was admitted to Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for the first time. That is when our mental health case manager & myself approached him to take on kt as well. CM pointed out to psychiatrist that I was on the go with 2 major difficult children & that we ought to be on the same page treatment wise. psychiatrist kindly agreed.

Keep in mind, he & I have butted heads over the years. Of course with great mutaul respect. :redface:

kt was very proud, as was I. She's trying hard to be a "normal" kid. (Maybe too hard.) Her typical teen attitude while reassuring is driving me up a wall. I gave her an assignment while at the library yesterday to make a list of alternative words for swearing. OR she could keep swearing....I would save money on prom dresses & I surely wouldn't have to worry about paying for a wedding. You should have seen the look on that child's face. :bigsmile: It was classic! :lady:

Thank you, ladies. I always appreciate each & everyone of you. :flowers:
  8. LittleDudesMom

LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

sounds like a great appointment, a great doctor, and a maturing kt! typical teen stuff will def keep you on your toes!

9. Christy

Christy New Member

Sounds like thingas are going well for KT. Glad to hear it!
  10. OpenWindow

OpenWindow Active Member

So nice to hear good news. Congrats to kt for doing so well, and I think I like your psychiatrist too. The good ones are hard to find.