ptsd or grief workbooks?

Steely

I would like to get your input on some workbooks I could use to process my ptsd and the death of my sister. Do you guys have any ideas on what is the best material out there for helping one process this stuff?

As you all know, I am 200 miles from a counselor - but I really need a way to process the events of the last 2 years. I feel stuck in some stage or another over H.'s death - and the events of Matt's life still resonate a pain and trauma within my soul that is paralyzing and detrimental.

Thanks for your help with this.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I wasn't ready to say goodbye - Pamela D. Blair.

Funeral home directors may have some resources.

Hospitals may have a support group.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Lothlorien

I can't answer your questions, but did Matt visit this week? I know you said he was coming home and you haven't been on for several days, so I was wondering how his visit went?

Steely

Thanks for asking Loth
His visit was OK...........but he went downhill during and after his visit in a fast way. There were things he did during his visit, and after, that have sent me into a ptsd spiral. He is backsliding quickly, and it is triggering me and causing me to backslide. I love him, and would do anything for him, but I cannot be around him right now ~ he makes me feel literally crazy. That is why I need to work thru this somehow, someway.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Steeley, I'm reading the book "I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodby" Pain Blair PhD.

I'm also reading The Death of a Husband. Both books were recommended by my therapist.

The goodbye book should have a workbook but I couldn't locate it on Amazon.

Saying that, a traumatic, sudden death - well, the grief, while many ways is the same, in many ways it's very very different. It can take 2-3 times longer to process after a sudden loss. My therapist agrees & is just trying to get me back to semi functional.

Saying prayers that you find some comfort, solace to help you thru this hard time. What I did learn is the longer you put off the difficult process of grief the worse it becomes. You can't do it right or wrong but you must grieve.

nvts

Steely! I just googled "processing grief workbook" and there are a whole bunch of them. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get that many hits, but there are quite a few!

http://www.amazon.com/Griefs-Courageous-Journey-Sandi-Caplan/dp/1572240172

http://www.griefworkbook.com/aggregator/sources/1

http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Mental_Health/Grief,_Loss_and_Bereavement/

Here are a few - but there were tons more!

Feel better = sorry about Matt's visit - I'm sure things will come into balance now that he's back to his regular location.

Hugs!
Beth

Steely

Thanks guys........Ideally I would like to use a book or workbook that one of you has used.............rather than buying blindly.

Linda..........I think you are right about processing the grief correctly. I can see how not processing it all the way through has come back to bite me. I was in counseling when H died, but 6 months after she died, Matt tried to commit suicide. In that 6 months I was being harassed at work. So in retrospect I am pretty sure there was not any way possible to effectively process this - even though I thought at the time - that I was.

My mom just emailed me to tell me that my sister's friend had one of H.s possessions I had been wanting - and she sent it to my mom. It was H's favorite teddy bear. I cried. You all know how I could not get one iota of H.'s possessions when she died - and to know her friend had been hanging on to the bear all of this time makes me mad. This friend knew how sad I was that I had nothing of H's. Oh well. At least it is back in the family.

KTMom91

I'm sorry Matt's visit didn't go as well as you'd hoped. I don't know of any books, but I will ask a good friend with lots of experience and let you know. Many hugs to you.