Puppy ate Silica Gel packet!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by hearts and roses, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Izzy the yorkie pup (1 year old) ate a packet of silica gel, likely found on the floor in easy child's room - she's a shopaholic.

    So, I called the animal poison control and they wanted $60 billed to a credit card!! I went on line and discovered that it's likely harmless, but many people suggested giving her milk or another liquid she would drink up fast to be absorbed by the silica and then *hopefully* poop out later.

    Another group of people suggested giving her a bit of hydrogen peroxide to make her puke it up. We opted for the milk method.

    Anyone ever experienced this? She's only 5lbs and the emergent vet are the ones who instructed us to contact animal poison control, though she did say it was likely harmless and nothing to worry about.
  2. mom_to_3

    mom_to_3 Active Member

    Of course my difficult child is not a dog, but when my difficult child was about 2 yrs. old, she ate a packet of silica gel while we were in a shoe store. I grabbed up both of my children and RAN to the pharmacy to speak to the pharmacist! He said, not to worry about it and there was nothing to do about it. I was so scared, because remember the packet had at that time a skull and cross bones on it. I even had them call poison control and they said the same thing. She was fine, my nerves were shot, but she was completely fine.

    I hope your little doggy is fine too!
  3. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    I remember being frantic because one morning I accidentally gave Chelsea my blood pressure medication instead of her Pepcid AC- both are pink and the same size. I was so annoyed that I was scared to death and poison control told me they wouldn't tell me anything until I'd given them my credit card information...and they also said that they guaranteed nothing. sheesh.

    I hope she's ok, Jo.

  4. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Not that, but in my much younger years, I lived in a really nice apartment. I got a cat shortly after I moved in. One night I came home and found a few little greenish-blue pellets in my kitchen. I began looking around and realized someone had put a thing of rat poison under the stove (must have been the people that lived there before me). A little while later, kitty was acting strangely, like chasing things that weren't there. I looked in her mouth and saw greenish-blue in the corner of her teeth. After I freaked, I called the vet and they told me to eye-dropper her mouth with peroxide to make her throw up. She never did throw up. She acted funny for a few days and that was it. I don't think she really ate that much of it, fortunately. She's still alive, but living with my stepmom's sister. She's 15 now.
  5. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Izzy seems to be doing okay. I bought some pumpkin pack and will give her some in a little while. It helps them to poop and it also stops diarhhea, so it should help 'move' things along, hahaha. Thanks for helping me not freak out over this.
  6. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Betsy chomped down one as a puppy. (nearly a year old) She's always getting into something. I called the vet, vet said she'd poop it out and not to worry. I worried and I watched her. She's fine.

    She's also eaten styrofoam, crayons, tin foil........... Anything chewable has to be up or Betsy will get it. sigh

    Hope your baby does fine too.

  7. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    Ach, the things puppies eat!
    I am so sorry. Sounds like she's going to be okay, though.
    These dogs have no idea how much we worry about them. :)
  8. eekysign

    eekysign New Member

    What on earth kind of poison control is this?? I had no idea they charged for help!! :(

    Is this the standard 1-800-222-1222 number? My red cross instructors let me know that they also can occasionally help with pets, in an emergency.
  9. Abbey

    Abbey Spork Queen

    Tin foil? I shiver at the thought.:faint:

  10. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    eeky - apparently, poison control centers do not get a whole lot of state or federal funding so they've begun charging a $60 flat rate just for the call to go through. Once you get someone on the line, they may or may not waive the fee depending upon the question - that is, if you can get your question out before they ask for your credit card number. Hmph! I really think this is something that should be covered in the public health portion of our taxes, but what do I know?

    Izzy is doing fine by the way. She has eaten all sorts of innocuous items, all of our dogs have, but this really scared us. I always thought it was poison because of the skull and crossbones that used to be on those little packets...hahahaha. They don't put those on there anymore!
  11. eekysign

    eekysign New Member

    Glad to hear it!!

    Those charges for the ASPCA hotline are insane. Again, my red cross instructor was a Vet Tech, and told us that you can call the human poison control for free, and they can usually help you, too. At least that's something free (i think!!) that you can try first!