Puppy Chewing?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Pills don't worry me, I just stuff em and make em swallow, then follow with a piece of cheese as a reward for tolerating it. lol

I will find a solution to the chewing to prevent her from developing bad habits, especially about furniture. At least she stops and then won't do it after I corrected her about it.

I'll look for the iams dog biscuits too for the kong, see if they work better. She likes her kong, just gets bored with it after a short while.

I think it's been tougher on her because easy child has been working more days which mean the boys have been here more than normal........with longer hours. And I'm pretty sure her teething just kicked in too. My other dogs were all much earlier than this........shoot, I was starting to wonder if she was going to do it at all. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
A few things about rawhides........(and don't groan it's a vet thing)

Yes I'm fully aware these are DOGS, and they have k9 teeth and not stomachs like humans -------that said......

RAWHIDES are not to be given in LARGE quantity. Neither are pig ears. AND they "CAN" rip holes in intestines if not chewed completely and CAN cause gum infections if chewed by and intensive chewer. AND they can cause upset stomachs and in some EXTREME cases? Casue you a HUGE vet bill with surgery and PAIN and sometimes death to the dog.

Our Casper is a "treasure"( long rawhide stick) conniseur. They sell them at Sams club in a bag - like 20 for $9 bucks - super cheap. They are about 12" long and 2" round. GREAT deal. Casper can munch one in about 10 mins or less. SO ........that's all that beef HIDE.......(not anything but hide) sitting in his guts.......digesting if.......it digests and sometimes ........he will choke on it or poop it out whole (undigested) ......

Our vet HATES rawhides. Rawhide chips and even pig ears are NOT high on his list of enjoyable snacks to give........but hes cool with "knuckle" bones - or they actually are HIP sockets. And cut up marrow bones - which are the bovine thigh bones. Even still like I said - WATCH for splintering. AND .........in our house the BIGGEST problem is TERRITORY over marrow bones. When they do get one? EVERYONE goes into a separate room,,,,,,,,and when everyone comes out of that room THAT bone goes UP.......and they know it ------no posturing, no fighting -------no stitches......no vet bill......they see me take it, and say "YOUR BONE IS HERE." and that's how it's done. OTHERWISE.......faces and butts get handed out.......that's dog nature.

DammitJanet

Star I think you are why I dont give raw hides. I do give real bones and I do give cookies. I dont have issues with posturing because I just have the two and they just switch between each others with no issues. If one puts one bone down the other will go get the other one without becoming aggressive about it.

It is the funniest thing though because I was trying to teach Abby to sit for her cookie but Buddy dances for his. Different breeds and all and Buddy came to us dancing. Well all of a sudden Abby started trying to dance for her cookie! She is quite the awkward sight dancing! A cute lil 5 lb ball of fluff can dance in circles for about a minute. A 30 something lb mixed bull dog isnt quite so graceful! She kept trying to leap into the air on her back feet...lmao. She got a cookie...several. A for effort.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Never once had an issue with raw hides and digestion. Not to say it won't ever happen. Just I haven't ever had it be an issue. I get them at dollar tree for a buck each, which around here is about a cheap as you're going to find them.

Now, though, they're being limited. Maggie can have them as needed due to the teething. Molly on the other hand, has gained so much weight since Maggie joined us (really it's unbelievable) that she is currently under restriction as to what goes into her mouth. Her food is portioned to exactly what she should have. I'm very careful with treats. And she's lucky if she gets the raw hide once a day. I hate to do it but her weight gain is making it really difficult for her to move around, which as we all know only makes the problem worse.

The PB in the kong is a hit.........but it doesn't take very long for Maggie to empty it out.

So far, Molly and Maggie do fine with their raw hides eating them together. But I know from past experience to not push it with real bones. I do what you do with real bones, Star.

DammitJanet

as odd as this may seem, my two eat out of the same bowl. I put out food twice a day and Abby eats what she wants first and then Buddy finishes it. In the evening normally Buddy will munch on a few pieces of food as Abby sits down to wait for him to finish and then she will go in. It seems like she knows he doesnt eat very much so there isnt any sort of worry for her plush she knows that if the bowl goes completely empty I will add a little more if she is very hungry. Food simply isnt an issue. I worried it would be but there was no way I could keep them apart unless I put buddy in another room. He would never leave her alone and abby is one of those dogs who eat slowly. Bite bite....play. Go back and eat a bit more...go play some more. It can take her an hour to complete her bowl.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had dogs that shared the same bowl without issue. I've had dogs that shared absolutely everything without issue, including real bones that still had meat on them. Molly used to be one of those dogs........until Lil Bit with her aggression issues, and then Precious with her aggression issues. Those two were enough for Molly to no longer want to share, I think because she's afraid of being turned on later. Maggie has no issues sharing anything. Heck she'll walk a bone right up and try to get Molly to play with her with it. lol

She will and has eaten with Maggie. Not the same bowl, but they'd eat in the same room at the same time. Until I realized that Molly was snitching Maggie's food every time Maggie walked away from her bowl. Now often they'd switch bowls but puppy food has lots more calories than adult......so that wasn't helping Molly in the weight dept. Molly doesn't really seem to have a "shut off" when it comes to food......she will eat and eat and eat and eat some more. Dunno why. She's never once gone hungry. She's just always been that way.

Right now I separate for raw hides simply due to Molly's weight. But I'd have to do it soon anyway thanks to what Lil Bit and Precious did to Molly. Once a pup reaches a certain age, Molly will no longer share and it causes fights. Toys are always shared though, they never cause an issue.

Jody

When I give Broady and Nyla pig ears or a really nice bone, they share. Broady growls this low growl and his fur gets in a stitch by his muzzle and he looks like he might eat her and then the little dog saunters over and gently pulls it from his mouth and goes off with it even though she has her own. He puts his head down and looks like I don't know why it just doesnt work for me. I tell him don't let her take it out of your mouth, but she does it everytime. She's a stinker. They don't fight about water or food. They both like to steal the toys though when the other is not looking. Usually Broady is just getting his back when she turns her back. Funny to watch though.

DammitJanet

Tony was just cleaning some deer ribs and he had the backbone out. He wanted me to just throw it down for the dogs. I was like...break it in two idiot. He thought they could just share it whole. I just shook my head. He broke it in two and when I tossed them on the floor we heard "grr" "grr" as they each ran to a separate corner. My dogs are gonna be happy for a while this fall.