Puppy Mill Law!!!!! Yippee!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Our state just got a puppy mill law!!! If you have 35 or more dogs you have to register them with the state and the state will have requirements, etc... for the animals' health!!!

While my bro only has the 2 adult border collies (the male is very much like the one in Star's video clip!), I live in fear he will keep one of the babies and get another male, or just get another female to breed Jake with. He is good about keeping the bloodlines unmixed, but has NO idea how often to let a female breed. I refuse to have anything to do with the pups because I just HATE that he is doing this. And the line about how "unfair" it would be to Jake to have him fixed, and it would "devastate him" and 'ruin him' is just horse doo doo.

Anyway, I am thrilled to have at least this law to start to protect animals here. I figured a few of you would be happy to hear that some progress is being made.

klmno

You know, I heard a glimpse of something on tv about a similar law, but it said 50 dogs. Personally, I think that is too many. I really do share your joy that this is getting addressed, but couldn't they have reduced the number to, say, 10 dogs? (Unless it's a rescue or shelter group.)

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish the number was much lower too, but it is a far cry better than no law at all except the loosely enforced cruelty to animals laws. Here those are more enforced in regard to livestock than dogs.

I am sure there was HUGE opposition to this. There are just so many breeders and bizarrely, there are more popping up every day. Some of the people who are layed off are now trying to breed and sell dogs to help pay the bills. Sadly most of the puppies end up at animal control and then the humane society. Or even worse, in my opinion, they are sold or given away in the WalMart parking lot. Heck, the Girl Scouts have to PAY to sell cookies outside walmart but they refuse to run the people giving animals away or selling them off the property. There is something so wrong about that, in my opinion.

Nancy

Yeah for Oklamhoma and hopefully more states will follow.

difficult child did her persuasive essay and speech on puppy mills. It was very moving.

Nancy