Putting a fur pet down when it belongs to your difficult child...

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
So a bird flies into the den, the dogs spot it, then chaos starts. Dan's pit MaMa's attacks Maggs our boxer, then Tilly our Jack enters the fray attacking Maggs as well. Was able to grab Tills by the scruff of her neck and put her in the bathroom, but I was not able to break up the other two. Was here by myself and I could not break MaMa's off of Maggs. Had to call Dan to come home (thankfully he only works less than a mile away) but our poor Maggs was badly mauled. Vet bill for the past two days is around 6,000 and rising.

This is not the first time this has happened and am beside myself. I love MaMa's dearly, but she has not been spayed, and at this late date, its not going to help and poor Maggs is always on the receiving end. Danny seems to think it would be easier to put Maggs down as she is old, but I know Tilly, who can be so dang annoying, would be next. I cannot in good conscience think of MaMa's going to another home with her agression issues and god forbid she go after a child. She has never snapped at us but is really squirrely if someone strange comes in the house - She will sit and growl the whole time they are there - heck, she will freak over a plastic bag,or a purse put down. Shoot, she has problems with Jamie comming in late until she recognizes him.

I spoke with the two vets - both of them said spaying was not going to help, and sending her away to be trained for 6 weeks MAY help, but she cannot come back here afterwards - once she has attacked she will do it again. Poor Maggs wasn't even defending herself. They won't even let us bring Maggie home till MaMa's is gone, so if she makes it thru the latest surgery, it will be a 40.00 per day boarding. If it was anyone elses dog in the house, I wouldn't be having this issue, but Danny is taking it hard and trying to turn it into something personal. If I hear one more time I can't believe you want me to kill my dog so you can keep your dog. Auggg And the worst thing, Maggs was a dog he brought in as a small puppy even though I said no more dogs and was his dog till he lost interest in her.

Right now MaMa's has a muzzle on when she is loose in the house, but that is cruel to be doing on a regular basis. Rescues are full right now, and our shelters automatically put the pits down when they come in. I would rather him take her to the vet to have it done so she will spend her last time with people she loves and that love her but he is not having any of it.

I am so stressed out you have no idea

Marcie

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What a horrible decision to have to make. I had to do it years ago with one of our little dogs, but for different reasons. I'm so sorry. And Dan shouldn't be guilting you. Hugs.

Last edited:
T

TeDo

That is a very tough decision but one I am 100% with you on. There is no way I would allow MaMa's to continue to live in MY house with other pets who are basically docile. You're right to worry the pit will turn on others at some point. A difficult child is a difficult child is a difficult child. It doesn't surprise me at all that the guilt trip is aimed at you. I can see difficult child 1 doing that very same thing in the future.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marcie,

I'm not suggesting this lightly - or even jokingly - and the ONLY reason I'm even thinking of it is because you DO live in California. Get in touch with Caesar the dog Whisperer. I'm not kidding in the least. He TAKES pits that can NOT be changed, or will be killed vs. behavioral changes and he lives in California. It's worth Danny calling him or trying to beg him as a last ditch effort. I've worked with pits for over 25 years. and I feel for your situation. While Mama is in the house? Could you also perhaps give her Benadryl to calm her anxiety and make her a little less aggressive? Benadryl is NOT for aggressiveness but it does make them less anxious and somewhat knock them out.

I am so sorry for your pups. And most of all your heart. I know you absolutely love your kids. My heart and all our fur hearts here go out to the West Coast.

Hugs & Love

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
((hugs))

been there done that, hope to never have to do it again. Nichole didn't forgive me for a very long time.

That is why, too, I have had Betsy and Molly separated for so darn long, even though it was a major PITA. Molly won't defend herself against Betsy period. And this is why I'm relieved Nichole finally decided to take Betsy as per the original plan and that it's working out wonderfully. It was getting more and more difficult to keep them apart when the grands would come over and open the baby gate to see the dogs and wham they were together and I'm holding my breath while we're trying to get Betsy back where she belongs. ugh I could just see the grands traumatized by a dog fight.

I hope Danny at least tries the dog whisperer dude before you have to put her down. FYI sometimes spaying doesn't work even BEFORE any aggression starts. Betsy was spayed right before her first heat was due.........the aggression just showed up about 2 yrs ago.

I hope you're able to find a good solution.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Marcie--

At one point, we had two dogs that did not get along...

We thought we'd be able to manage them, but the writing was on the wall that the docile one was going to get seriously injured. We knew the aggressive dog would have to go.

BUT - the children were devastated. I had to do the right thing for the dogs regardless of the tears and carrying on. I just put it bluntly to them that the dog was going to kill our other pet, and as the Mom I couldn't let that happen. Eventually, they got over it and accepted that it was the right thing to do.

In your shoes, I think I would have the Pit put down....BUT, I also think I would lie to the kids and tell them you were able to find a spot in a shelter after all...***

I'm so sorry that your family is in this situation. It is a lose-lose all the way around.

***Wait a minute - I think I have changed my mind on this one. If it is important to Danny to save the pit - can HE find a new home for it? Give it to a friend? Have someone take care of it for him? Something like that???

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Everyone in the house cept Danny knows this is what needs to be done. I have given Danny the chance to do what he needs to do. He has called around to various rescues - and decided to have her spayed and put with a trainer for 6 weeks - vets say spaying will probably not help, training may but she won't be able to come back home - she will need to be the only dog in a new house. But she is so leery of people outside the family I cannot see this as a workable solution. But nothing could happen in this senario unless she were spayed first.

Mama's is Dannys "child" - I understand not wanting to do this - I don't want to see it done. She is a beautiful girl, obediant and house trained cept for these agression issues on other dogs/strangers. He knows how she is - he used to be able to take her outside without a leash, but after going after a neighbors dog, he won't do that anymore. When his friends are over, she is not allowed to be out side with them because of how she is with people she doesn't know.

Its going to be miserable here till something is done. He has been doing so well and am so afraid this is going to cause him to tank

InsaneCdn

It doesn't help that difficult children tend to see their pets as an extension of themselves. Whatever happens to their pets, they assume is what we would like to do to them. Even in cases where it is due to medical issues (i.e. not agression, but, say, advanced cancer and the dog is in serious pain that can't be controlled), the impact of putting a pet down is HUGE. In a case like this where it's due to behaviour? I can only imagine the feelings that go through difficult child.

That doesn't mean you don't do it. But... please have a back-up plan for your son. He's going to need help dealing with it.

DammitJanet

Marcie I understand so well because years ago Cory brought a rescue Pit here and that dog ended up attacking one of our house dogs. We had no choice but to put that pit down because not only had that pit attacked our dog and hurt it badly but we found out it was used in fighting so it had the taste for blood and there is no getting that out of them. Cory wasnt happy about, especially when we made him pay for the vet bill for our dog plus we killed the rescue pit. He got over it. He never brought home another grown dog.

I am sure Danny is going to be beside himself over this. Both dogs need to be thought of and I really hope that Maggs pulls through.

keista

Sorry, but if you asked my old neighbor it would be a no-brainer. He casually bred pit bulls. Last litter he had, two pups got out and attacked a dog being walked by a neighbor (never even nipped at the person - just the dog). The pups were put down before animal control could come by and serve him with notice.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Marcie, I've known Maggs and Tillie since they were puppies. Tell Danny you are sorry but the only chance he has if he can't rehome her with someone else is to get his own place to live and take her with him. If he's short on cash he can get a roommate...or two. He's 27 years old; it's time.

Hugs
Suz

DammitJanet

With that amount of damage...my heavens, I am surprised maggs is alive. That is a huge bill. That has to be massive damage and injury. I know what the bill was with my two who were shot and killed. Thank heavens you got Tillie out.

svengandhi

How would Danny feel if Mamas attacked one of your grandchildren? My mother in law's neighbor was keeping his son's Akita years ago and the dog attacked his little grand-daughter, mauled her face and arms. The Akita was out and down before his son, who was a MAJOR difficult child, got home that day. Son was angry for awhile - until he saw his 3 year old niece's bandaged up body and then he cried. My daughter is the same age at the niece and I never used to let my kids walk any where near the neighbor's house while he had that dog.

I know people love pits but they scare me. That's why I spoke about a different breed. An aggressive dog should not be around other dogs, vulnerable people or kids. Maybe the Dog Whisperer can help but if Mamas was my dog, I'd be reluctant to have her in my house.

Good luck.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
He called me from work and asked me to make an appointment tonight to take MaMa's in to get caught up in her shots. I gave the vet the heads up that he was going in so she could talk to him about the situation which she did. He is going to have her spayed next (not at my vet as they charge an arm and a leg - got a good deal today as on tues and thurs is low cost shots and free check up) and then has a friend from the pit rescue set up to take her, train her and find her a new home where she is the only dog. I think he will follow thru (not that he has an option not to) and get this done. I did make Suz's suggestion that he get a roommate or two and move, but that didn't go down well, but that I was puttin it out there as an option. LOL

She had to get emergency surgery yesterday because her stomach twisted so I had to take her over to the emergency vet for the night so she could be on a heart monitor - another 400.00 sigh. Vet picked her up this morning, Maggs was adamant that she was sooo not going in a cage, and was very vocal for hours howling and crying, so much she had to be sedated. I saw her tonight and she started her song and dance again, so I am sure the vet had to sedate her after I left - But the good news is she is feeling so much better and vet said she is doing really well considering her age.

I am extremely careful with Mama's being around anyone. She is locked away in the bedroom if anyone comes in the house. If I had no other pets, I would send her for training and keep her but thats not the case, and my Maggs and Tills are very important to me, as MaMa's is to Danny. Its heartbreaking for me because I love animals and she has been with us for 5 years. But as the vet told Danny, she can no longer be a member of our pack because of what she has done :(

Marcie