Q's view from his spot in his "office".

buddy

2012-01-04%25252010.27.26.jpg
I think this is how most of the day goes for Q. He was allowed to bring his galaxy player ONE day to show them his gift. He took a picture from where he sits on one of those rocking tv watching chairs on a mat. this is where I usually find him. OR sitting at the computer looking at auction sites (he likes to watch the numbers go up and down). He is allowed computer as a reward and also has some "given" time that can't be taken away so he does not get over whelmed with worry that he will lose it completely. I just thought when I saw his pics that it was interesting to see his perspective of the day. I don't even know who that lady is, I am sure she is just a nice substitute EA but they usually sit there or outside of the door.

Not good or bad, just feels numb to think this is how he spends much of his day. Sometimes he needs the break. I just worry that his being in there is increasing so much and it is a self fulfilling type of thing.

T

TeDo

If they sit over there, how on Earth do they help him get any learning done? Is his office his "calming" place or does he just spend most of his day there sitting in that room doing nothing? Something just does not seem right about that. JMHO

buddy

I get mixed messages about that... It is where he goes when he can't stop teh verbals in the class which is just down the hall a little ways (the wall in front is the back wall of his classroom). It is where they do a lot of his work now, because as the teacher said, he seems to do better 1:1 alone... ummm yeah, most kids would. It is also his calming spot. It is where he eats lunch if he is not in green zone, it is where he goes first thing off the bus and the things on the wall are his check in charts and his zone reminders etc. DAPE and SPEECH and anyone else go there now to reduce transitions but also then does not give him the chance to practice his new skill learning of being able to walk in the halls etc (which by the way he didnt have a problem with until this year in general) So, some of it is good and the rest I feel is being created to make it look like this is what is NEEDED when in fact any kid would do better in terms of external controls if in this situation. He says he feels lonely. I can see that. I think the picture feels lonely.

T

TeDo

I think you are right. They are warehousing him is all. If he is spending more time in here to cut down on transitions, how is that teaching him to handle transitions. How is isolating him in a room teaching him any kind of skills much less life skills. The woman sitting by the door reminds me of isolation room only with door open but staff still "keeping GUARD". How sad for him. No wonder being around others is stressful for him. His day is lonely and he probably gets overly excited to be with other people. Awkward or not, Q IS a social kid. He NEEDS to be around other people and taught how to do it more appropriately. UGH

Poor Q!!!

InsaneCdn

Unfortunately, it may well be a complex situation. What is best for Q, may be causing a real problem (given the history here, the chances are lower - more likely its theoretical... ) for some other student(s) in the class. At which point, it becomes a lose-lose proposition for everybody. No matter what course of action is taken, somebody loses. And so... admin has decided that it is better for Q to lose, than for the others to lose.

Having said that... there are alternatives, and they NEED to be finding and using those alternatives. And I'm not talking alternative placement, either.
- group the kids who need less distraction into one class, and put Q into a class of mostly PCs, who can handle having him around (everybody wins)
- have Q in a back-fill class - where other kids come and go for special help, and he stays for most of the day. Still gets transitions (others in and out), still gets socialization, etc. - but its a smaller group, might be more manageable.
- there's probably another dozen approaches - NONE of which involve alternative placement.
But... you have to have supportive admin, to do any of this.

buddy

Do you know of any? I have called mn dept of ed. Our neuro has called. Our attorney has placed kids in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and other independent district programs that contract with our district, and nothing is appropriate for a kid with autism, brain injury, who copies behaviors and has behaviors. Just aren't any we can find. Are there ones we are missing??? I would LOVE to find that out!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
When Wee was in 2nd grade, before we figured out how pronounced his dyslexia was, he was in mainstream with a para and doing fair to middlin' with the exception of one girl in his calss that I dubbed Mallory. Mallory was another behavior student, and why she was put in the same room as Wee is beyond me, except I know the principal that made that decision. I will still be $100 that he banked on Wee being out asap. Wee became Mallory's target, but instead of separating the two, the school issued a mandate that the two were never to be together... (what good is that?)

Anyway, in response to Wee's increased behaviors, the district wanted to cut his day from half down to 2 hours a day. By this time, he was mostly in the sped room, anyway, so the advocates fought and got his placement changed to self-contained. His behaviors were few and far between, but he wasn't learning, and it was not uncommon for him to sleep 2-3 hours a day. However, at the time, I was just relieved that the behaviors were under control.

That sped teacher left after his 2nd grade year (more on that story later). The sped teacher he has currently moved in. At the "hand off" meeting, the old sped teacher told the new sped teacher all about Wee's tendency to sleep and not be on task for literally hours on end. She figured he was on task 5 minutes for every hour he was in the room.

New sped came. New sped had plastic letters, and pasta ABC's, and shaving cream, and post it notes. She had word bingo and math manipulatives and games that involved running and reading at the same time. If the agenda required a certain worksheet be done, the kids never saw the worksheet - she set up the problems in one of these other formats and engaged the kiddos, including Wee. He went from reading less than 20 words to sounding out and reading in under a year, and the behaviors decreased exponentially.

Just wondering, does Q have Wee's old sped teacher? (not literally - but her idea of adapting an assignment for him was scratching off half the worksheet...)

buddy

This is exactly the kind of work Q does well with and the kind of teaching he does well with. This teacher does part and part.

And I don't know if I have made it clear, he is only in Special Education room. some of the kids come and go but he is not disrupting any gen ed classes. The mainstream classes he was in until this year were art, music (and sp ed music at that), science (just the activities, not having to do the higher level reading etc) computers etc... ONE at a time. They don't like that the kids see him in the halls BETWEEN classes. uggg This year was supposed to be swimming... and we all know where that sits. it is so maddening.

susiestar

Roll With It
Have you shown this to your advocate and the legal person? in my opinion htis is NOT LRE. NO WAY is this the least restrictive environment. I think it is great to have the room for him to go to when he has a problem or needs alone time, but not for him to spend the whole day. WHY is he looking at auction sites? NOT that they are bad, but why not put some numbers game into play with them. Have him make a mark on a paper every time a five or a twelve or whatever is shown. Or have him write the totals of the auctions down and see how much four items he chooses cost in the end.

SOMETHING to make it more than just staring at the site. This is NOT education in the least restrictive environment. It just isn't and I think seeing this will have the legal person very upset.

That EA or whomever is just there to make sure he doesn't leave, she isn't helping him do anything. HOW is he to increase his time iwth the other kids if he never has a chance to be with them? Gee, I learn to behave around people by sitting alone in a room all day. That sentence makes NO sense at all. You cannot teach a puppy to behave around people if you keep him in a pen all day with someone watching to make sure he doesn't leave or dig under the fence. Q has a TON more potential than a puppy and needs even MORE help and DESERVES it.

I am glad that he has a space where he can get away from others when he needs it. But I am madder than a hornet that he spends his day there so he doesn't accidentally say something to upset someone else's little darling. The other kids are tougher than they look and their education will be enhanced by helping Q - honestly, that is how it works. I know partly because Jess was ALWAYS the one who sat by the kid with problems. Helping them learn something meant it was reinforced 10x in her mind more than in the other kids in the room. It also helped her learn compassion and that problems don't mean we throw people away. I think your school needs that lesson.

T

TeDo

They don't like that the kids see him in the halls BETWEEN classes. uggg
That's discrimination! Now I'M furious!! So their answer to THEIR "bias" is to isolate HIM as much as possible. WOW!! I'd be all over that one. WoW. I didn't realize the mentality there was THAT bad.

InsaneCdn

This is exactly the kind of work Q does well with and the kind of teaching he does well with. This teacher does part and part.

And I don't know if I have made it clear, he is only in Special Education room. some of the kids come and go but he is not disrupting any gen ed classes. The mainstream classes he was in until this year were art, music (and sp ed music at that), science (just the activities, not having to do the higher level reading etc) computers etc... ONE at a time. They don't like that the kids see him in the halls BETWEEN classes. uggg This year was supposed to be swimming... and we all know where that sits. it is so maddening.

Buddy... even here in dinosaur country, that doesn't fly. For a MINIMUM he would be allowed hallway, recess, lunchroom... plus music and art, and off-site things like swimming. It pretty much doesn't matter HOW bad they are, unless they are likely to seriously maim or injure another child, (or likely to run, for field trips)... THAT much is cast in stone. (actually learning anything is a different matter... but socialization???)

buddy

I was like Jess, I loved sitting with the kid who needed help and I learned about compassion etc.

SO, I just got a call from school. he started out ok and was in a bean bag chair. Then he started muttering silently some of his words. then they said he coudl use the swing and he started swearing out loud and when they counted him down he fussed and finally started screaming and then they called the psychologist from you know where and he had to go back to the room.

I said, so where are we with this? She said he said he had a headache so she thinks it was kicked off by a simple seizure but then he went at her to "punch" her (not a real punch his frustration thing) so that is why they called psychiatric. He was in his room calming already by the time the guy got there.

I again said, It seems the swing is a real trigger. She said, well I dont know why. We let him go in it when he wants. He only wants to when kids are there. Well, yeah... he needs more help and integration options when a kid is there. OH yea, and he popped a therapy ball too today.

I said, yes, but the words are clearly paired with actually sitting in it and every single time he does you have to call for admin to get him out of the room. Can we think of any other answers to the swing??

silence.

UGGG I said, I think the swing needs to leave the room. IT needs to be in the group sensory room.

silence.

I am pretty sure I am going to get a call that he is suspended. I just feel it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We got social skills and practice time in Wee's IEP, too. This same sped teacher (she really is amazing) does them both. They work on skills and then she puts him in social situations to practice them daily. He has also had friend time and lunch bunch, where he can invited kids into the room for free time or lunch and she monitors while they spend the time interacting and playing a game or eating lunch and visiting, and he can practice the skills in a small, controlled setting.

buddy

They have kids for Q like that too. But they are so freaked out about the swearing this year that they pull them out like they will be offended or learn the words from Q. uggg. it is frustrating. I wish there was an alternative.