Question about "Anger Overload"

HMBgal

I found references to this in may articles, mostly as put forth by David Gottlieb. This, more than anything else describes my grandson to a T. More than ADHD, for which he is currently on Concerta. But, the rages continue, despite Explosive Child techniques, individual help at school during recess times, etc. no academic issues aside from the fact that his handwriting is beginning to get in his way...it's worse than his pre-school-aged sister. Despite all of our begging, no Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation. But this anger overload description fits him so perfectly. The school psychiatric has told us that he doesn't quite fit ADHD, and none of us have ever thought so, but his problems were of sufficient severity that drugs were recommended and he's been on them for 18 months. Yet the rages continue. I don't think it's childhood bipolar, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), etc. We've always thought that was something that was going on with him that just isn't being described by current diagnostic criteria, and this so fits him.

So, asking the board for your thoughts and knowledge about this. And behavioral interventions for the caretakers and teachers are the most effective interventions, which is super hard to do, especially at school, where most of the problems are persisting. And no mention in my research of a pill that can be thrown at this.

InsaneCdn

JMO... the anger has a source, and you need to find it.
Get your own Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation - if handwriting is already a problem, it will become a bigger problem... and it might be the canary in the mine. Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation can cover both motor skills and sensory, AND the Occupational Therapist (OT) has therapies that actually help.

Not sure who is ruling out Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) etc. - if it's the school, their opinion has no weight.

There is more going on.
However... the kinds of things that are likely going on, are not things that can be "solved with a pill"... it's going to be more like interventions and accommodations.