Question about attorneys...

svengandhi

Both my husband and I are attorneys and we have never belonged to a country club or, as is more popular around here, a yacht club. Even if I didn't have terminal seasickness, we wouldn't be in one.

I know some lawyers who belong to these clubs but most of them have inherited wealth. Of the people like me, none belong to such a club.

I can't even afford an above ground pool so we spend $200 a year to go to the public pool.

Josie

My brother in law's are both attorneys and both belong to country clubs, but modest country clubs. One of them told me that he thought he needed to join so he could take clients. The club is close to their house and his family plays a lot of tennis there. The other one joined the club in the neighborhood to use the pool and workout facility. They are quick to describe their clubs as not the exclusive kind.

My husband is an avid golfer so we joined a golf country club. He plays golf at least 1x weekly year round and more in the nicer weather. The girls and I go use the pool sometimes. He is an engineer and I know he plays with some other engineers, sales people, and at least two executives. This club is not an expensive, exclusive club. We are also supposed to be able to sell our membership back to the club if we decide to leave it. I'll believe that when I see it.