Question about diagnosis?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Valentine, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Valentine

Valentine New Member

difficult child will be coming home on the 29th. I am super excited because he has been gone almost a year. At our discharge meeting they changed his diagnosis to a mood disorder not otherwise specified. Everyone was saying he had this whole list of diagnosis and now he is cured.. I dont understand.....

2. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

Did you ask the staff what they meant when they said he was "cured"? My older daughter has a diagnosis of Mood Disorder-not otherwise specified, and she is not "cured." She takes medications and attends weekly psychotherapy to treat her illness.

3. Valentine

Valentine New Member

They never said he was cured thats was my wording Sorry.. How do you go from being Bipolar to not being Bipolar...

4. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

There's a sense in the medical community that the diagnostic criteria for pediatric bipolar disorder has been too broad. So there's a good chance that your son does not have full-blown bipolar disorder, but a less-defined mood disorder. That's actually good news because bipolar disorder is a life-long condition and perhaps this mood disorder is not.