Question about disability for anyone who may know

We made an appointment to bring difficult child 2 into the local social security office one day before his 18th b-day. We had all of the paperwork filled out ahead of time. (We did this per the advice of a very helpful person in the SSI office.) He has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), is intellectually high functioning but socially inept. While he has a few other diags too, they are common in persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). He was approved for SSI on our first try. It took about four months before he received his first check. His 18th b-day was in April, his first check came in August and included payments for June and July also. While he was living at home, his payments were about $200 less then they were when he finally got into federally funded housing. Where we live, he was automatically eligible for medicaid once he was approved for SSI. He also receives food stamps but the amount is minimal - I think it's $16/month. My brain is a bit foggy. I can barely remember what happens from one day to the next, lol..., so while I think this info is accurate, it might be a bit off. SFR