Question about electronic readers

LittleDudesMom

I am in the market for an electronic reader. I am an avid reader and usually am reading 2 to 3 books at a time. There are a number of reasons I would like to go with this option - less clutter in the house, environment, cost savings - to name a few.

I know the Kindle is the biggie right now, but I've been researching and am liking the B&N Nook (same price point) as they have some added features and twice as many books (and are rated #1 by Consumer Reports). Anyone use an electronic reader and can offer their experiences or recommendations?

Thanks,
Sharon

KTMom91

I have a Sony PRS-505, and I love it. It does exactly what I need it to do, and the books are stored on a memory card. The only downside was that it wasn't lighted, but Hubby got a light for it, so it's all good.

witzend

husband has the Sony as well. There are lots of free books that he is reading on it. Also, you can upload Microsoft documents on it, too. I know he loves it, but I couldn't give you a lot of particulars.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I use a Kindle and I love it. You are not by the way, required to use Amazon to get books for the Kindle. There are many sites and publishers that support the Kindle file format (.mobi)

You would download non-kindle content to the computer, hook the Kindle to the USB port and wait until the easy child recognizes the Kindle as a removeable disk. Once that is finished, all you need do is click and drag the new files from whereever you downloaded them to, and drag them over to the Kindle.

Josie

I have a Kindle. I loved it at first and I still like the idea of it, but I have found that the newest books that I am interested in reading do not come out right away on the Kindle. I am not sure if that would be the case for all of the readers, so it might be something to check.

skeeter

Both husband and I have a Sony Reader. I have the 505, he has the newer pocket model. He got his cuz he kept taking mine!

I have all my favorites stored on it, and as stated, there are a lot of free books available. Our local library also has books available that are "active" for 3 weeks.

The Sony takes .doctor and .pdf files, so I also have some of my work documents stored on it And Sony has begun offering some newspapers, too.

Most "first run" books are around $9 - 14 US. But there are always some freebies and specials.

Mine also can play MP3 files and has expandable memory (you have to get a Sony Touch to do that now).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hey Sharon, I have the Nook. There were some issues at first, but they released an update almost immediately that cleared those up. I recently downloaded another update wirelessly through 3G network for free and now it has a couple of games and internet access at WiFi locations. Pretty cool. I love my Nook and have read well over 20 books already since mid-January. There are lots of free books and super inexpensive books too! It is much lighter than any other reader out there too, which is helpful since I do most of my reading lying down or when traveling.

I have a friend who sold her Nook and used the money to put towards the purchase of an iPad. I was going to do that but then reconsidered when I remembered the reasons I chose the Nook - it's lightweight design. I really have no need for all that an iPad offers anyway and now that it has free internet via WiFi, if I really need that, I can hit up a Barnes&Noble or a Panera Bread, Starbucks, etc.

It took me a long time to finally make a choice and I'm glad I chose the Nook.

LittleDudesMom

Thanks everyone! Jo, I think I will get the Nook. The newest update definitely pushes the Nook over the Kindle, in my book (no pun intended!).

Sharon

LittleDudesMom

Went out to B&N at about 3:30 or so, purchased the Nook, charged it up, registered it, downloaded the new software, ordered two books, and have already read the first two chapters of the latest Sookie Stackhouse book that came out yesterday! I love the color touchscreen at the bottom and the perk of sharing (lending) other Nook owners a book - can't do that on the Kindle and that was one of a few features that tipped the scale.

Thanks everyone.

Sharon

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You can share books with a Kindle. You simply put up to six other Kindle folks on your account with Amazon. Non-Amazon content can be shared without standing on your head.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah, me too. I have severe spinal stenosis in my neck. I'm afraid standing on my head would leave me paralyzed for life, LoL