question about labels(sticky kind)

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have been trying to label everything that I put in bins. I have one of those Dyno label makers. It's taking me longer to peel the backs off than it did to clean the closet. Any suggestions how to get the back off so I can label bins?
I figured someone here had been there done that. Help.

K

Kjs

You are TOO organized. I don't even get to the closets. More like stuff it in and quick shut the door before something falls. thinking I should keep a notebook of what I put in the closet.

No suggestions for you. Sorry.

mstang67chic

Going Green
The only suggestion I can make is to bend/roll/fold the label around. A lot of times it will loosen an edge or corner

So um.....wanna come to my house??? :please:

Sara PA

I once used a label maker to note what was in all my containers. Half of the labels fell off.

Then I switched to Sharpies. I got rid of half the stuff in the containers. I couldn't get the labels of the gone things off.

I gave up.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My husband drives me nuts with Sharpies. He absolutely cannot write in anything else. Letters...containers, bank deposits, etc.

That is what he gets for Christmas. A new huge bag of Sharpies. How heartwarming is that???

Abbey

janie

New Zealand
Hi there,
I use a Brother "P-Touch" as a label maker - that tape has a horizontal cut in its "backing" - so all you do is bend the label horizontally once it has fed out of its machine. It makes applying the sticky label SO much easier!
I was wondering whether the Dymo label maker has the same system? - but it wasn't obvious looking? :) (I ask the question because I didn't notice the P-Touch had the horizontal split in its label-backing for ages!) LOL
Good Luck in your labelling venture :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks for the advice.
For now I went with regular tape and a sharpie.
Janie, I am going to look for that type of label maker. I can not believe how frustrating this has been. This Dymo is a waste of my money.

MrsMcNear46

Fran-

They usually sell different kinds of tapes for them. I just ordered the type with the split in the middle. Check to see if the model you have has options on the tapes.

Mrs. McNear

SRL

Avery makes clear label paper in sheets and individual label size (address size) which you can use in your printer.

Marguerite

A serious suggestion, if you want something looking a little more formal than using felt pen - I do labels on my computer. It's just a standard text file but you can also put pictures on if you really want. You CAN put label stock in your printer, and print directly onto these peel-off things, but I just print onto plain paper then cut them out with scissors and use book-binder's sticky tape (it's extra wide) to hold it all down.

I labelled difficult child 3's schoolwork drawers this way - he has six drawers, one for each subject. When the work comes in by mail, I sort it out into subjects and put them in the drawers. When difficult child 3 does his schoolwork he chooses what he wants to do and also checks each drawer to make sure he's done all the Week 6 work before he begins Week 7, and so on. If I find stuff kicking around the house relating to a particular subject, I just put it in the drawer it belongs to. A calculator goes in the maths drawer; his German CDs go in his German drawer; paintbrushes and pens go in the top drawer for art supplies.

When difficult child 3 was learning to talk and also learning to read, I did labels on the computer for all the common things around the house - door, window, drawer, chair, table, bench - and because I did them in about 18 pt bold, it still fitted neatly under the width of standard sticky tape. I just cut out each little word, laid it on the bench and picked it up with the tape then stuck the tape down where I wanted it. I did this for difficult child 3's best friend, too. Works brilliantly!

I also make my home-made tomato relish, herb oils & vinegars and strawberry jam and bottle them to look as professional as possible. I make up larger labels, complete with a list of ingredients and recommended uses, and print them off on plain paper also. I then cut them up and use my 3" wide sticky tape to go right over the labels on all four sides, and wrap around the jar. If I'm giving them away for Christmas or birthdays, I add a greeting to personalise it. It's amazingly fast but looks like I've taken ages to do it.

To get them off - easy. The sticky tape is easy to pull off without leaving a sticky residue and if I can't find the end of it, I just soak it off. Only takes a few minutes.

A problem with using felt pens to label things - with some surfaces (especially some plastics) the water-based pens won't write, and the solvent-based pen won't come off. So I stick down some tape first, then write over the tape. Peels off really easily when I need it to. I only use felt pen when I'm labelling food for the freezer. Everything else, like jar labels, drawer labels etc - the computer printout.

Dunno where the Dymo's got to these days, We just don't use it any more.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
Duh! I never even thought about the computer generated labels. I use them for Christmas cards but it didn't even dawn on me.
Thanks everyone.