Question about MID

anmari75

MaMa2_3Munkeyz
I was viewing some posts and came across a post that mentioned MID (mild intellectual disability)
what is the standards for this? I havent even heard of it?
The reason I ask is that my 12 year old son has been on an IEP since he was in preschool, first for speech issues and he just always had a hard time learning and was behind...he took kindergarten twice and is still testing well below where he should be.
Well this year in sixth grade, he has been taken off the IEP and they suggested a 504 plan because as they said, he has a low IQ and therefore will always function below level. I stated i dont see how this is acceptable but havent had anything happen since so now he sits and falls farther and farther behind?

i read up on it what i could but any info from any of you is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!!

Sheila

Your instincts are correct. Without appropriate intervention your son will fall further and further behind. If he didn't get the correct intervention with an IEP, it's highly unprobable that he will get it with a 504 Plan.

It's my understanding that MID is a newer term for mild mental retardation. It's identified by IQ testing.

My interpretation of your sd's comments is that difficult child will always be behind so it doesn't matter. Whether they like it or not, he should be provided appropriate services -- even if that means they have to provide 1:1 tutoring.

Life for your child may always be difficult, but there's a real difference with-ending the school career with-an equivalent 9th grade education compared to a 3rd grade education. It will make a difference in how he's able to function in the world as an independent adult.

There's a thread in the Sp Ed Archives titled something like One of the Biggest Mistakes Parents Make -- it's a very interesting study and a short read. The bottom line is that a private evaluation is strongly recommended to parents. It'll help you determine exactly where your difficult child is and should result in educational recommendations.