Question For Business Software Experts...not personal computer stuff.

DDD

As you all know I am basically illiterate when it comes to computers but we've used one regularly at home for over twenty years AND for our business longer than that. So I guess "illiterate" is a bit inaccurate. I know how to "do" what needs to be done but my head doesn't wrap around how the systems work. Now I have a BIG problem at work.

Many years ago I bought a software system designed for our business industry. The system records all sales, prices out all parts (there are thousands of them in our little store) based on which of six levels a customer is designated, allows me to pull up previous sales going back a few years on a per customer basis, takes care of all the accounts receivables etc. The system was expensive and the newer versions are very expensive and require a maintenance and annual update.

I am waiting for my computer repair man to show up. It's been three business days and I'll be lucky if he gets here tomorrow. He is #3 out of three who have worked on our system. The recurring message that pops up this week is "gobblygoop no memory". I know our computers are not short on memory. This must mean the special software program has run out of memory.

I don't think you can add memory to a designated program...but ???...do you suppose you can delete unused aspects of a software program (for example accounts payable which we have never used) and gain "space" or "memory" for the program parts you need to use? My gut tells me the answer is likely no. I am trying to get prepared for what's lurking and really fear it's going to be new debt. Yikes. DDD

InsaneCdn

"no memory" is either... a hardware problem (memory chips gone bad) which "should" be fixable, OR... a data "size" issue, as in, you have so much history hanging around that there's no place to store more...
But my first guess would be some blown memory chips.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Sometimes you have to designate (within the program) where the program should go for additional working memory. You can add an external memory and designate that as the "scratch file".

witzend

Have you been backing up your data? If the software is very old, it likely isn't interacting with newer programs in your computer well. If there is a newer version of the software, you may need to upgrade. That will probably require more memory. (Are you talking about Quickbooks?)

DDD

No, Witz, it is not a popular program. It is an industry specific software program that actually is far more complex than Quickbooks. I appreciate the thoughts you all have shared and I will be better prepared when the computer guy shows up (rats, not today again). I have this really sinking feeling that there are no more quick fixes for this system and we are very vulnerable right now. Oh well, lol, I am a tough broad and I'll find a way to keep going. Thanks. DDD