question for camera folks about memory card

ctmom05

My husband has a Kodak C653 digital camera – 6.1 megapixels. When you put the memory card in you get the message “memory card protected, please reset it.” The problem is that the memory card cannot be reset.

We have more than one memory card and none of them will reset; so apparently the problem is not with the memory card – but with the camera.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

klmno

Uhmmmm... I'm not much of a camera buff so I would probably look on line for the camera info and see if there is something in the FAQ section or troubleshooting section. My guess is that this is common for that type of camera- probably a seetting or something. I have a kodak but it isn't as good as that one - I have not had that problem with it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmm. Never had that issue with my camera. But klmno has good advice. That's what I'd do if I were having an issue with mine.

I'm guessing the instruction manual says nothing about how to reset the memory card??

Marguerite

Have a close look (magnifying glass if needed) at the memory card(s). Some of them at least, have a tiny sliding switch (like on the old floppy disks) which lock them. It may have been sold to you, locked.

Failing that, it could be a camera reading all cards as locked when they are not.

Marg

Lothlorien

I'm thinking the same thing as Marge. If that's not it, call Kodak. If it's a common problem, they may just be able to sort it out for you.

What type of memory card is it that you are using? I have noticed that the cheaper memory cards are filled with all kinds of junk from the originating company. I've put them into my digital picture frame and they have all this Japanese stuff and I can't view my pictures without going through a 1/2 hour of looking at that first. Same with the flash drives.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Chris--

Is this a brand-new camera or one that you have been using successfully for a while?

If it's new, there should definitely be some help in the instruction manual and/or contacting the manufacturer's techinical support.

If the camera has been working fine and all of a suddent there seems to be a problem with the memory cards--CHECK THE BATTERY! It may be that the camera's battery is no longer taking a full charge....and I have found that trying to use the camera with insufficient battery power WILL mess up the memory cards (possibly permanently).

See if your computer will recognize the memory cards....if not, they will need to be replaced. Put a new battery in the camera before you try new memory cards in the camera--or you may end up messing up the brand-new cards, too.

Good luck!

--DaisyFace

DammitJanet

If all fails, take it to a best buy or radio shack and ask them. If you were here, I would say bring it to my son. He is excellent at this stuff and helps all the folks who come in. He has a ton of walk in folks who bring their electronics for help. He has customers for life because he does this sort of thing...lol.

Marguerite

I'm not certain (will check with difficult child 3 & husband) but I don't think you would need to replace memory cards. Even the ones loaded with advertising, you should be able to scrape out and re-load. It's a matter of reformatting.

Low battery - if you're using rechargeables, they often give a lower voltage than alkalines. Check the batteries with a multimeter, if you're unsure. THing is, cameras are sold as items capable of using rechargeables. But old rechargeables can sometimes drop voltage quickly. Memory problems, too, although newer recheargeables don't have the same memory problems.

Marg

Marguerite

OK, info from difficult child 3.

'If you're using a easy child, open My Computer and right-click on the device when it's mounted. Select "format..." and from there a list of options will appear. If you haven't been able to read from or write to the disk reliably, do not select Quick Format, just let it take its time. Otherwise, select Quick Format then start the formatting process.

If you have a Mac, open Disk Ultility. Then select the chosen device from the list, then switch to the "erase" tab. From there you can choose how you want to erase the device. If you select security options, you can choose whether or not you want to erase just the files, or the data as well so they cannot be recovered. Outside of security options you can rename it and choose its format; if you want a disk that will work with a easy child as well then choose MS-DOS (FAT).
Mind you, most SD cards come in this format, so you should probably select it anyway. Once you're done choosing your settings, click "erase".'

OK, the gospel form the horse's mouth.

Is it any wonder we want this kid to study IT?

Marg

busywend

Protected usually means the little switch is on, like Marge described.

Does it say 'reformat' or reset? I have never seen the 'reset' referenced.

If you do choose reformat it will erase everything on the camera.

If you need more help - PM me. I work there.