question for gardeners

crazymama30

If you plant potatoe starts too deep, will they sprout eventually or do I need to start over? I have not dug one up yet to see what is going on, may do that tonight.

Star*

call 911........call 911
all i can hear in my head is the Hobbits conversation walking to Mordor - and SAMWISE Ganghee turns to Mr. Frodoo and the ugly little creature and says

PO-----TA-------TO. Mash em, Boil em, Stick em in a stew.

Here ya go. Potato's aren't hard to grow - but I think digging down into your mounds - Not a lot of fun.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/potato2.html

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Former Mainer here, I used to grow 6 different kinds of spuds. It's too early to check on them. They take time and patience. Kind of like maturing a fetus. Do you have signs of leaves yet?

Malika

How deep did you plant them? I used to grow potatoes and other veg when I lived in Wales - potatoes (don't correct me, Mr Quayle) are so wonderfully easy! Just put them in the ground and off they go. Some people say you should heap the earth into a mound as leaves start to appear but other than that there's not a lot to do.

crazymama30

I dug one up, and there are roots growing, so I think I am ok. Malika, does the mounding the dirt really help? I was reading about that last night. I think part of it has been that it has been pretty chilly here. I covered the potatoe bed up last weekend, and am keeping it covered at night.