question for gardeners

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by crazymama30, May 19, 2011.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

If you plant potatoe starts too deep, will they sprout eventually or do I need to start over? I have not dug one up yet to see what is going on, may do that tonight.

2. Jena

Jena New Member

my guess is it'll sprout up. yet maybe there are potatoe experts out there lol

3. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

all i can hear in my head is the Hobbits conversation walking to Mordor - and SAMWISE Ganghee turns to Mr. Frodoo and the ugly little creature and says

PO-----TA-------TO. Mash em, Boil em, Stick em in a stew.

Here ya go. Potato's aren't hard to grow - but I think digging down into your mounds - Not a lot of fun.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/potato2.html

4. ThreeShadows

ThreeShadows Quid me anxia?

Former Mainer here, I used to grow 6 different kinds of spuds. It's too early to check on them. They take time and patience. Kind of like maturing a fetus. Do you have signs of leaves yet?

5. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

How deep did you plant them? I used to grow potatoes and other veg when I lived in Wales - potatoes (don't correct me, Mr Quayle) are so wonderfully easy! Just put them in the ground and off they go. Some people say you should heap the earth into a mound as leaves start to appear but other than that there's not a lot to do.

6. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I dug one up, and there are roots growing, so I think I am ok. Malika, does the mounding the dirt really help? I was reading about that last night. I think part of it has been that it has been pretty chilly here. I covered the potatoe bed up last weekend, and am keeping it covered at night.