Question for other women who have reached "that age"

klmno

I thought I was past menopause because the hot flashes decreased if not entirely went away and I hadn't had any sign of of having a cycle in about a year, or at least close to it. Then, I started about 8 days ago and haven't stopped yet. Is this normal? I get the idea that there could have been a lingering egg and now that some of my stress has let up, it might have been a good time for it to drop. But when these cycles were tapering off, they got shorter and shorter. I never had one last 8-9 days. I had a pap smear a couple of months ago and it was normal.

DammitJanet

That seems a long time. If it is a heavy flow I would get in to see a doctor. They can give you a medication to stop the flow. Its possible you have a fibroid tumor that is interfering.

klmno

Ughhh.....that doesn't sound good. It was very heavy the first few days but tapered down to spotting. Of course I feel the typical tiredness, yuckiness, etc. that I thought I was done with.

M

ML

I heard that if you go 12 months without a cycle you are officially post menopausal. You can go 11 months and have one and still not quite there yet. Ugh. I'm glad I went through this early~

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had a couple of periods like that during the year that things were "shutting down". I saw a dr. about them and she said that it was perfectly normal, as was some spotting. Go in and see a doctor and get a "well woman" exam. If they suspect fibroids they may want to do an ultrasound to see those.

I am officially "done". Last cycle of any kind was a year ago last August. I'm not happy about being fifty, but I am happy about being through with menopause.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think that "normal" for menopause can very quite a whole heck of a lot. What you are describing is something my aunt (mother's sister - 15 years older than my mom) went through and pretty much exactly what she says happened when my Gma got pregnant with my mom. RIght up to the heavy start and then spotting that made it last quite a bit longer than a "regular" period ever had. I don't know that a doctor is needed, but the lingering egg can cause pregnancy for quite a long time after you think things are "over". If this starts happening regularly, then you may need to see a doctor.

(((((hugs))))) menopause can be frustrating and annoying

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Actually some women have been known to have a cycle even past the year mark. It varies woman to woman and can depend on a lot of factors including stress. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go in for a well woman exam and have your hormone levels checked out while you're at it. Then you won't worry and will probably have a good idea of where you stand menopause wise.

I'm like 3-4 yrs post menopausal (and loving every minute) but I recall having an odd cycle like 10-11 months out....and that was the last one. Sort of a last hoorah before the end.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I told my OB that my last cycle was because of all the jumping around I did to try to shake any remaining eggs loose.

H

HaoZi

My bio-mom hadn't had a cycle in years - until she moved down near me and a friend I was living with, and it started back up.

BusynMember

I have heard of people having sudden periods after long periods of time without one. However, because of the length of time, I'd definitely see a doctor just to make sure everything is A-ok :)

Marguerite

See the doctor, but this can happen. I don't think it's related to any residual eggs either - in the early days of a young girl's periods and also in the last days of an older woman's periods, the period isn't necessarily associated with ovulation. But you can never be sure, which is why the pregnancy risk is still on the table.

When your periods get really heavy and prolonged (and frequent sometimes) in menopause, the problem is usually hormonal. See a doctor who can do a blood work-up (including checking your iron levels).

I had this problem when menopause started with me - ridiculously heavy periods plus they lasted a fortnight and started up again a week later. My iron levels were dropping fast and I was heading for blood transfusion. Then I was put on HRT and it shut things off like a tap, mid-period. I was on HRT for 18 months then my BiPolar (BP) began to go up, while I was trying to lose weight. So I said, "How about I try going off the HRT, instead of you prescribing blood pressure medications?"
So I went off the HRT, the BiPolar (BP) came down and the heavy periods did not return.

The periods were so heavy I was developing my own comedy routine. "You know you have heavy periods when..." type of jokes. Such as "You know you have heavy periods when you're up to three packs a day and you don't even smoke!" There was one embarrassing day when we went to the theatre with friends. I was changing every 45 minutes (before lunch, during lunch, after lunch, right before the show began), but in the theatre I was stuck for the entire first act. Then by intermission I knew the queue for the loo would be too long and I would not be able to stand discreetly for that time, plus I would miss half the second act while I tidied up. So I sat still and didn't dare move until the show finished. Then I sat there longer, while the theatre cleared enough for me to head right to an empty disabled loo. I knew I would need the sink in the cubicle. And I did. I was as quick as I could be, but I still had security banging on the door telling me to hurry up. Friends standing around waiting, husband trying to stall (he knew what the problem was) while I washed everything, dried it under the hand-dryer then draped my black cape over everything and we headed back to the car. I walked behind everybody in our party, then back at the car husband discreetly sat me on the vinyl sheet we protect the car seats with when we go to the beach. I made sure I was the last one out of that car - that way nobody saw my clothes. And thank goodness for black knitted capes!

The show was great. It had been worth the embarrassment factor - Topol in "Fiddler on the Roof". I wasn't going to miss that! And sitting still, there was no problem. it was only when I had to move...

If it is that bad, you need to see a doctor. And if the doctor won't take you seriously, you need to shake him firmly by the throat until he does.

Marg

klmno

Thanks, Ladies! Marg, you are cracking me up again! If it doesn't completely stop today, I'll see about a dr appointment. Unfortunately we barely get any sick time on this job and I haven't found a local dr yet but I'll see what I can do. You might be on to something about the iron level. When I was a girl and first started, I had nose bleeds around the time of ,y period and the dr checked my blood and found I had low iron. Apparently the nose bleed was a symptom. I also had a nose bleed yesterday. I'm really afraid of taking hormones though. I smoke and that increases risks for breast cancer with hormones. A family acquaintance had to take them and she smoked, too. Within 2 years of starting them she had breast cancer that had spread to her lymph nodes, had chemo, then a stroke and heart attack, then died.

DDD

I agree with everyone else EXCEPT :bigsmile: I'd bet a million bucks you are not in the least concerned about pregnancy!

On your long list of objectives and must do's for 2010-2011, I bet "find a man" ain't included, lol. DDD

klmno

You got that right, DDD! No way, no how is pregnancy a current concern and I'll make darn sure it won't be....LOL!

skeeter

I always had horrible cycles to begin with. No regularity. Heavy, heavy bleeding. Was on BC for many years because of all this.
Going through menopause was the same. I'd go for 6 months with nothing, then BAM several in a row, then none for 8 months, then BAM, here we go again. This went on for 5 years (along with the sweating, etc.). Finally I'm through it (fingers and toes crossed) because I've not had a period for 18 months.

Marguerite

On the risks of HRT, I'm fairly up to date thanks to my oncologist. He said that because I was only on HRT for 18 months, there was no link. According to the research, you have to be on HRT for five years or more before your risk of breast cancer increases. If you're concerned about the risk, then ask your doctor to organise more frequent mammograms to monitor you. Then go off the HRT when the first surge of menopause is past.

Even given that I've just had breast cancer, I still am glad of that 18 months of HRT that I had. Without it, I might have ended up with a hysterectomy. My breast tumour was hormone-receptive, but I was still producing a lot of those hormones myself anyway. The HRT provided very little more, it mostly provided a balance of hormones. Without the HRT I still would have had hormones 'feeding' the tumour, from my own body.

A short HRT course is safe.

Marg

LittleDudesMom

k,

I went 10.5 months without a period and then WHAMO! Just when I thought I was sooooo close to the 12-month mark! Long and heavier-than-usual periods are not unusual when in peri or pre menopause. I'm pretty much back to my every-two-months schedule this past year.......

Sharon