Question for Someone with Tax Experience

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Today husband "shows" me a document that says our stimulus payment is going to MO. Looked legal. And I think it said stumulus payment. He picked when I was studying so I didn't look too closely at it.

This is supposed to be due to unpaid back support.

BUT after husband went to bed, Travis innocently hands me an envelope from the IRS that came in the mail today. He'd found it near where husband keeps his briefcase in the kitchen on the floor. I open it and it's the IRS notifying us that our check is on the way.

WTF??

And now I can't find the document husband showed to me. I've hunted every place I know to look except his briefcase which is currently locked in his car. Locking his briefcase in his car is not something husband normally does, and he made a special trip out to do it. I'd go look except I don't have a key to husband's car.

However I may be sneaking the key out of his pants in a while to go take a look see if that document is in there.

Anyone with some tax expertise? Why on earth would they send a notification it's going to be taken for back support and also send one that says we're about to get it?? That doesn't make sense.

I know the last time we received stimulus payments it was NOT taken for back support. Although back then husband also tried to convince me it would be. I just got to the mail first.:biting: The look on his face was priceless.

Any clue anyone? (by the way, I'm calling the bank asap to check our balance.)

Sara PA

From the irs.gov, the FAQ on the stimulus checks:

Your payment may be less than the maximum for one or more of the following reasons:

You are single and your net income tax liability is less than $600. If you file
Form 1040 net income tax liability is the amount shown on Line 57, plus the amount on Line 52.

You are married and your net income tax liability is less than $1,200.

You are single and your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than $75,000. On Form 1040, AGI is the amount on Line 37.

You are married filing a joint return and your AGI is more than $150,000.

You owe back taxes that reduced your payment.

You have non-tax federal debts such as unpaid student loans or child-support obligations that reduced your payment.

Around the time you receive your payment, you will also receive a notice from the IRS explaining how your payment was calculated. It is important to keep this notice as a record of your economic stimulus payment. In addition, you'll get a separate notice if you owe back taxes or non-tax debts that were offset or deducted from your stimulus payment.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Sara. I'm gonna ask husband to show me that document again to be certain. I didnt get a very good look at it the first time.

Doesn't surprise me we won't get it either. Just the way things have been going for us this year.

Hugs

F

flutterbee

Lisa -

I'm guessing on those letters there is a number that you can call with questions. I'd call it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thought I heard somewhere that there was a scam going on with refund checks, so be careful not to give out information that could lead to identity theft. Look up the phone number on line to be sure its legit. Hope you get all this straightened out......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Calling is a good idea. Because getting one thing that says we're to expect it and another saying we aren't is confusing. husband was having it direct deposited so I doubt anyone could actually steal it, except him of course.

Thanks

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You can also go to the IRS website, enter your tax info (SS#, etc.) and they will tell you how much you can expect to get.

Why is he being so SNEAKY about it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
gvc I dunno. But husband has made large sums of money vanish before, which is why I don't trust him.

Oh, and I did go to the IRS website. They also said we were getting x amt back. That's why I'm confused.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well I hope you have some means of protecting yourself from his financial indiscretions... That's just scary. I don't like secrets. Not in my marriage.