Question for the organized

Sue C

Can I ask a question about shredding? How long should a person keep paycheck stubs? For one year until they receive their W-2 for income taxes or ???

(hope you don't mind me asking on your thread, Fran)

sue

susiestar

Roll With It
The ONLY thing that I have to offer in this is that I have scanned ALL paperwork like driver's licenses, incurance cards, birth certificates, etc... and have them in a file on my computer. The hard copies are in a file drawer, (not the driver's license and health ins, but the others), but usually the certified copies are not needed. I can just print out a copy. I go through all this at tax time, updating as needed. If we get new ID's, other papers, I scan them before I file them. It really saves time and agony looking for something.

Susie

Marguerite

It works, doesn't it Suz? it's what we do with medical reports on the kids, so if someone asks to see a copy, we can easily print one out instead of searching through our files to see if we have a spare... that's what we used to do, and a couple of times I had to ask the doctor to photocopy the file for me and give me back the original... every time we took the original out of the file, we risked not getting it put back and getting it lost.

This way, they stay in the filing cabinet much more safely.

And for pay stubs - once you get your whole of year summary (whatever you guys call it, it varies between countries) you should be able to dispose of the old ones. We always keep a few, because sometimes if you're going for a loan they ask for the last few pay stubs. Our welfare people often ask for them too.

If you have to, you can always go to the accounts dept of where you work and either ask for a statement of income letter, or back copies of pay slips.

Marg