Question for you nurses/sort of update on my dog

Lothlorien

It's been three weeks. I have to take her back to the vet. After being told by the vet to feed her ground chicken, it turned disasterous. She barfed all over the place. So, once we realized the chicken was causing this disasterous effect, we only give her beef, beef gravy or baby food beef (this is in order to give her the medications). I'm almost afraid to give her anything else. She is eating her regular kibble now.

Once we figured that out, she seems so much better, now. Is it possible (please G-d, someone say yes) that an allergy could cause kidney function tests to go that out of wack?

I go back Monday for add'l tests and I am praying for good news. I thank you all for your prayers, also.

witzend

When Bubba was ill last week and they did blood tests, his kidney levels were high. They said it was probably because he was vomiting. Maybe hers will come down now that her tummy is better?

flutterby

Fly away!
I would think dehydration could cause kidney levels to become whacky, but I'm no expert. If she was vomiting quite a bit (I'm sorry...I don't remember), she was probably a bit dehydrated.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Vomiting can cause kidney levels to become whacky.....most especially if there was even a small chance of her being dehydrated. I dunno really for dogs though how much it would/could throw it off.

Glad to hear her tummy is settling down, poor baby. I'm a meany, I just plop my dogs pills in, hold their muzzle, and stroke their throats until I'm positive medications were swallowed. Of course I then reward them with tons of praise and cheese. lol Every time I've tried to hide medications in food it never worked for me......was always a disaster.

I hope she's on the mend.

Hugs

Lothlorien

Thanks, all. I feel a little better about bringing her into the vet on Monday.

Daisy, she's a little Yorkie. Two of her pills are supposed to be chewables, so they are huge! I have to crush them and put them in her food. There's no way I can shove those down her throat.

crazymama30

I think (not sure if I remember correctly) that lamb and rice are the least allergenic things for dogs. I know the rice is. We used to suggest rice with chicken broth. Hope she is better soon

klmno

Loth, when my dog was so sick the vet told me to give her broiled meat and rice- but only a tiny bit of meat since it was only mixed in to flavor the rice so she'd eat it. He said it is the rice that will help her stomach and digestive track to move all the Yuck out of her system. He said the meat could be chicken or ground beef (I'm sure lamb would be ok too) and should be broiled to get the fat out.

Kathy813

Staff member
What a coincidence. I just took our 2-year-old shih tzu to a vet dermatologist because of allergies. We are just beginning an expensive process of finding out what is causing our little one to scratch constantly which lead to a skin staph infection.

The vet told me that if it is a food allergy to chicken than she is probably reactive to any poultry. She said that the safest food is the rarest kinds of meat like rabbit or venison.

Gracie was on a lamb kibble and I had switched her over to a potato and duck kibble before seeing this vet. Now I am going to look for a venison kibble to try next.

We are not sure what is causing Gracie's problem. The vet took scrapings and is testing for mites or ringworm first (this all started in July after being boarded so she thinks it might have been something she picked up while there). If this isn't the solution, then Gracie starts allergy testing.

Good luck with your little one!

~Kathy

Lothlorien

Well, hello Kathy! Gosh, it's been a long time since I've seen you on the board! I hope you find out what's wrong with your little fur friend too.

Right now, I give her about a tablespoon's worth of either beef gravy or baby food (just beef) to get her medications down. I mix it with her regular dog food, which is Iams. I know people have negative about Iams, but it's really the only dog food that she can tolerate. When I've switched her, in the past, she gets extremely gassy. I do a gradual switch, too. Mixing 1/4 new to 3/4 Iams and gradually adding more. So, for now, she's okay.

I realize that her kidney values were so low that she may have permanent kidney damage, but at least, for now, she seems healthy or healthier. She's eating and she gained a pound in three weeks, which is a good sign, since she went from being a 14 pound dog to under ten pounds in only a few months. So, if we get several more months of my sweetie, I'll be more prepared then I was a few weeks ago, when I got slammed with the thought of having to put her down in a few weeks.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhhh, I understand about the pills then. Yorkies are teeny. Makes sense.

Keeping body parts crossed she's much improved by the time she sees the vet and that any kidney issues are not permanent.

Yorkies are so darn teeny and adorable. Their size I would imagine would make it easier for them to get dehydrated......sort of like an infant compared to a child.

Hugs

DammitJanet

Kathy....I could ship you venison scraps overnight mail when Tony kills a deer...lol. Or maybe post on freecycle that you are looking for the scraps...not real meat. Then you could just freeze it and make your own deer meat and rice kibble!

Kathy813

Staff member
Um, thanks Janet but I don't cook for people nevermind dogs. I was thinking of a nice venison kibble from the pet store.

:rofl:

Loth, I've been back for a while but pretty much stick to the PE forum.

~Kathy

witzend

Bubba has had to take a lot of pills over his life. For bigger pills, we get cheese tortelini and stuff it in there. Sometime just wrapping it in a soft piece of bread works well.

One trick when he was an "only" dog, was to have two or three treats, with only one with the medications. I only have to resort to three when he gets suspicious. In any case, I get him all riled up about getting a treat, make sure that he knows I have two, give him the one with the medications, which he swallows whole, then give him the second one. He's so excited about the second one he doesn't even taste the first one. Now that he has a sister, I give him one at the same time I'm giving her one. He thinks if he eats it fast enough he'll get hers.

Good luck with the allergy thing. It's incredibly expensive. Bubba tested as allergic to everything. We began to realize he just had sensitive skin, and skipped the allergy shots.

Kathy813

Staff member
Witz,

We wrap our pills in american cheese. We do the same thing you do . . . we have another piece of cheese ready to follow the one with the pill wrapped in it. We call it the cheese chaser.

I know that the allergy testing and treatment is very expensive. My team teacher went through it with her Westie. She said it was close to a thousand dollars when all was said and done.:nonono:

But what can I do? She is my baby.

Loth ~ I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope that the vet visit goes well tomorrow and he/she sees improvement.

~Kathy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, when I had my bowel obstruction, the extreme vomiting caused me to go into frank renal failure, so that is definitely a possibility.

According to my vet, as soon as a protein or carb source becomes predominant in pet foods, you will find a drastic increase in the number of animals that become allergic to those ingredients.

Chicken/Lamb are the most common ingredients in higher cost pet foods like IAMS, etc.