Questions about Endometrial Ablation

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have never regretted having it done (May 2009). I still do get periods, though barely anything and beginning in February of this year, my periods have been so sporadic, I never know when it's coming, but when it does, I can handle it. Still some bloating and cramping, but nothing like before!!!!

Andy

I am not a canidate for an ablation. My doctor suggested it this winter and scheduled a pelvic ultra sound and a biopsy. She explained the 1/3 people have awesome results, 1/3 have no results, and 1/3 have some good results but the problem doesn't go away like the 1st 1/3 group. The ultra sound was to determine the shape of the uterus. If there are too many fibroids that have misshappened the uterus, than the success of the ablation decreases (I am wondering if too many doctors are going with the ablation without doing this step thus the 1/3 with no results).

My tests came back with two fibroids, one of moderate size and no more talk of ablation.

You can increase your successful results by asking the doctor for more information if he/she wants to proceed without making sure you are a candidate. I am sure the clinic I use to go to would just do the procedure without the steps needed to see what shape your uterus is in. The pelvic ultra sound was not bad (very weird but not painful - just a little discomfort). The biopsy was uncomfortable but I did not get the heavy cramping feeling that the doctor warned me about (just for the second it takes to get a sample) but then again, I am one that did not feel labor pains/contractions until I was well into the final stage of labor and very seldom felt my babies moving at all during pregnancy so wonder if I lack some nerves down there?

I trust my doctor, she was the one who 1st suggested the ablation and now that she is leaning toward hysteroctomy, I will believe her! :) Wish I could have the ablation though since healing time is way faster/easier.

Good luck!

SRL

I was in your same shoes and wish I'd gone straight for the hysterectomy. I had two D&C's for biopsy purposes and to remove fibroids. Then I had the ablation and within two weeks it was back as bad as ever, only it took taking BC pills every 8 hours for 3 days to get it stopped. My doctor wanted me to give the ablation a full four months to work because studies show where you are at 4 months is where it's likely to land. By the time that all passed, and life here was in a position I could schedule it, it was 8 months of that mess, plus I was so anemic they nearly had to do a blood transfusion during the hysterectomy.

I've known women who've done well with it, but I wasn't one of them.