Questions about selling stuff online

klmno

I'm listing stuff online to sell thru cra****ist (I don't want this post popping up on google searches). I want to sell stuff locally because it's quicker and easier on me and some is too large to pack and ship. So- I'm asking people to respond to my post with their phone number so I can call them. I prefer that over listing my phone number publicly. Are there any other measures I can or should take to protect my home or self (privacy)? Also, are there any other ways to list stuff locally for free, that's quick and easy? Have you ladies had good luck with selling stuff quickly like this?

Also, is furniture that is solid wood, between 45 and 50 yo considered antique?

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
You could set up an email account just for this purpose by using Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc. You can meet in a public place to make the sale or have someone with you so you're not alone.

As for listings....that site is the only one I know of but that doesn't mean anything. Although....you COULD list on Ebay but specify that it's a pick up item only so you don't have to ship. You may get more for stuff on Ebay BUT by doing it as pick up only....it severly limits your customer pool.

AS for solid wood items between 45 and 50 years old....darn tootin they are antique!!! I would do a search on the items (ebay included) to see what price people are getting for them so you don't under price them. Maybe even check out antique dealers to see what they are selling similar items for.

DammitJanet

With that site, your email is protected by an anonymous email that they give you unless you put your email in the body of the ad. Also unless you provide your telephone number in the ad, no one gets it.

I would recommend meeting people at a specific location to pick up items too. Say the local police dept. I wouldnt have thought about this until there have been shootings over ads on this site. Of course that was for a diamond ring!

If the furniture is heavy and you cant move it, I would make sure someone comes to the home during the day and you have people with you as witnesses.

susiestar

Roll With It
I was always told that furniture items have to be over 100 yrs old to be antique, 40-50 yrs old would be "vintage", but that was many years ago. If there are specific makers' marks on the items, or they were from a specific store, it would be good to mention that.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
SO was trying to sell his electric wheelchair on Craigslist, and someone tried to scam him. If anyone tells you they can't come and pick it up, because they are out of the state, out of town, but someone will come by with a cashiers/certified check - don't do it - there are more than enough people scamming with cashier/money order/certified check Do not respond using your regular email either, set up a gmail or some other email account that is only going to be used for the sale of your stuff

Marcie

DammitJanet

Marcie...just how in dickens name are you supposed to pay for something anymore if you dont have paypal or cash? LOL.

I have got no clue how they are faking money orders or cashiers checks!

Oh and I will buy his wheel chair if he will ship it COD!

witzend

I do this with stuff from around the house all of the time. Cash is the only thing I take. All transactions are done in the garage with large barking dogs inside the house. If it's something small, you can meet in a parking lot or coffee shop.

I don't ask people for their phone numbers, but the only way that they can contact me is by e-mail. It's a blind e-mail that cra---- sends you, so they don't see your email unless you reply. But you can set up a dummy e-mail through gmail or yahoo or whatever. Once you know that it's not a fake, then you can exchange phone numbers or set up a meeting place.

Post photos and be honest about what you are selling. If it's dented, it's dented. I tend to sell for about 1/3 the original price and they go right away. Good luck!

klmno

I've listed several things but so far, only one item is getting attention. People seem to have a genuine interest in it but only one person has come by and looked at it so far. I listed the exact features and conditions and posted a photo. The man came by and said he didn't want to take it because of the special features- which actually makes it worth more and since I had listed that in the ad, I take it that was an excuse. Oh well.

I'm noticing that a ton of ads are being listed every day like this so I will have to list these often , I guess, until they sell. difficult child actually gave me some ideas of things to list and told me about a couple of old gaming pieces that he can't use anymore and can be sold, too.

witzend

Practical items sell best. Chairs, filing cabinets, desks, lamps. Specialty items are difficult to sell.

klmno

This wasn't a specialty though- patio chairs that swivel and rock- he said he didn't want the kind that swivel and rock. Huh? I listed that in the ad to begin with.

DammitJanet

Have you listed this as a moving sale...everything must go Sale? I really think you should do that because you will get a better response from the public going down there to check it out to see if they could get a bargain. You can set up dates to have a yard sale on that site.

DDD

In our local papers you can run a free advertisement to sell items under $50. It's entitled Bargain Bay, I think. Good luck. DDD