quick placement question

GFG2s school keeps putting him in ISS to do his schoolwork when he doesnt do it in class. If he gets an attitude or refuses, they send him home, not an official suspension, so it doesnt go through the school district etc. This has happened a few times this year, they don't either one show up on the discipline report for the year that i'm waiting to get.

My question is, do those count as part of the 10 days?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Why do they not send it home to be done as homework?

Seems odd that ISS would be given just for not doing work in class.

This would probably not count as suspension, but absence, it would. And above a certain number of absences, you would have issues too.

well, he refuses to do it at home.

they count it as excused absences so i dont know how many he gets of those, i know he only gets 5 unexcused but he never has those

yes he does.

I just called the school to doublecheck:
"with kids with IEP's we cant do suspensions without the oficial letter etc.; so we just send them home to get themselves together and come back the next day. It counts as an excused absence."

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
HMMMMM.

I'm guessing this is a behavioral IEP... because with Jett's IEP - if he had a meltdown (rarely happens), they'd suspend him. Due to his IEP having nothing to do with behavior.

I'm very skeptical of this from the school. Sounds awfully weird. But, if they're not holding it against him... Hmm.

slsh

member since 1999
An absence is an absence. An absence because the school called you to come pick him up due to behaviors is a suspension. They can call it whatever they want, but it's a suspension. ISS is also a suspension. It all counts towards the total of 10 days per year.

They're *excusing* the absences, in my humble opinion, so that they don't have to deal with- the behaviors AND they don't have to revise IEP/BIP to address these behaviors.

I'd ask to see the school policy that mandates that any child who does not do homework is to be placed in ISS until it gets done, and that said child will be sent home if he/she continues to refuse to do the homework. If it's not in writing, they're handling difficult child differently than other students. I'm assuming it's not written in his IEP/BIP that he will be sent home if he refuses to do homework.

Once you hit a total of 10 days of his "excused" absences (gag) and ISS combined, I'd call for an IEP mtg to discuss change of placement, since by removing him from the classroom for 10 days they have in essence changed it.

T

TeDo

I agree with Sue. I am going through this with our sd right now. When they got close to the 10 days of suspensions, they switched to unexcused absences. In our area, they are supposed to report difficult child as "truant" to the county attorney and probation department when we get to 7 unexcused. When they got close to that, they all of a sudden became excused absences, thus preventing legal issues as well as manifestation hearings etc.

Ask for the WRITTEN school policy stating that classwork must be done in class and if it isn't, it will result in a suspension. I would also call for an IEP meeting to discuss the "change in placement" they have apparently instituted without your consent by excluding him from classes.

Good luck.

JJJ

They are absolutely part of the 10 days -- both the time in ISS and the being sent home early.