Quick question about BBQ ribs

klmno

I have 2-3 lbs of baby back ribs that I just want to toss in a covered casserole dish with some BBQ sauce and put in the oven for a couple of hours, then uncover for a little time longer.

What temperature should I set the oven on? 350-375?

DammitJanet

I would cook them at a lower temp for that long and then uncover at 350 to crisp up the sauce. I put just a tiny bit of sauce and water in with my ribs on like 275 at first for several hours to let them get tender and then turn up the heat for about 30 minutes right before serving so they get crispier. I actually serve my sauce on the side though.

T

TeDo

I do exactly what Janet said. I prefer mine tender and I can't get that without ssssslllllooooowwww cooking them.

klmno

OK- if I stick them in at 275 say, in 5 mins, how many hours would they need to cook on that temp before changing over to 350 for a short time?

DammitJanet

Id cook them for about 2 to 3 hours at 275 and then drain them and then cook them at 350 or 375 for probably 20 minutes.

Or you could even grill them then.

klmno

OK- thanks! I'm too tired to deal with myy grill tonight so I just stuck them in the oven. I'll put it a little higher than 275 so I won't be 9:30-10:00 tonight eating dinner. I just put them in the oven so I can take my time getting some potatoes ready- I'm only going to open a can of french style green beans and have garlic toast with it but that will be plenty for me to eat on a while.

So- I put them in around 6:00, on 280, for 2 hours. I should be able to eat around 8:30-8:45 which is fine- I have a bad habit of eating late- I just wanted to be finished by 9:30.

keista

OK, don't start throwing things at me, but I boil my ribs - for about an hour. Then I drain, pour on the sauce, and heat just long enough to warm the sauce. ALWAYS tender.

klmno

LOL! I'll have to keep that in mind for a future dinner, especially if I'm running short of time and only have ribs in the fridge!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I usually cook mine without sauce but with a tiny bit of Allegro marinade brushed on, with foil over them, for about 3.5 hours at 250, then brush heavily with sauce and up the temp to 400 for 20 minutes...

klmno

Yes, Mam, you are! I'm starting to smell it now and so are the dogs....who, by the way, are stalking the kitchen and intermittently coming to me with big, pitiful eyes. It's nothing too fancy for dinner but I was in the mood for it.

TerryJ2

I had to read this because I gave up on ribs yrs ago. Couldn't get them tender. Tough as nails.
Thanks for the info!
Let us know how it goes, Klmno.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband made ribs for us once... We had to cut them with scissors small enough to chew - more like rib jerky.

I made them a few months later - fall off the bone tender.

OH - you can also make them in the Crock Pot! Toss 'em in with some sauce, turn it on LOW, go to work. Come home, eat.