Rages

JJJ

I didn't want to hijack whatamess's thread but something Linda said sent me off on a tangent:

One more thing ~ it's not healthy for you nor your child to be in the center of a rage for a long period of time. Our psychiatrist put it at 30 minutes & was stunned to hear that kt could/would keep it going for 6 or 7 hours. She was no longer with us at that point ~ the rage was in control.

Just something to consider.

I agree. I don't think the long rages are good for child or parent. And psychiatrists and tdocs don't really seem to understand. I was told by the restraint trainers that a restraint should only last 15-30 seconds if done correctly. I laughed in their faces. Kanga, like kt bug could rage for hours. Then one of them was at Tigger's school during the worst of his rage period. They finally called me after an hour and several staff getting hit. I calmly suggested that they actually listen to the parent, that they revise their restraint training to include what to do with all-day rages, and that if they had followed my advice (1) no one would have gotten hurt and (2) they might have calmed him down without needing a restraint and that I never wanted to be blown off as "just the mom" again.

busywend

How very frustrating to have them not 'get it' - they are supposed to be our resource. Gheesh! They did not even take advice from the mom - it tells me they think all kids are supposed to react the same way. I do not think you can put a time limit on the rage - it is different per kid. Maybe one needs to go on for an hour to get it out of their system. Maybe another kid only needs 10 minutes.

klmno

It surprises me that psychiatrists don't get it. I have not experienced extended rages with my son- he does the shorter ones. But in my layman's research on some diagnosis's, I found it listed that the length of the rage helps distinguish between diagnosis's. I don't remember what website I read that on but I think it used the example of 30 min rages pointing to a couple of diagnosis's, while rages typically lasting over an hour pointed to another couple of diagnosis's. (Of course the other "symptoms" would need to be taken into account, too.) I do remember that when psychiatrist was evaluation'ing difficult child and we were discussing rages, he asked me how long they typically lasted and exactly what kinds of things he did and said during the rage.