Ran across this- I am good enough!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I go to therapist weekly and meet with a group biweekly. We are currently working out of a book that is truly making me think on some things. In it I came across this paragraph and thought I would share it.

Perfectionism creeps into all aspects of life. There is no more important responsibility than raising children, so it's no surprise women are sensitive to anything that suggests the did less than 110 percent for their kids. Forget it! No one can be uber-mom 24/7, but you can be a "good - enough" mom who gets better at it as you go along.

I know we all face this battle once in a while and just thought I would share this with you.

We are all good enough. Why make ourselves crazy thinking we aren't? It just adds one more thing on us we don't need.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Too right!

SuperMom and Perfect Mom are only myths.

All anyone can ask is that a parent do the best they can.

Hugs

goldenguru

Very wise words.

I live in a city of the "super family". Sort of like the Stepford families. This doesn't help to add to the pressure to have a job bringing in $100K. To have a Paris Hilton type body. To have a house that looks like it belongs on the cover of House Beautiful. To cook like Martha Stewart. And to be the perfect mom raising the perfect children.

Nobody reaches perfection. We should strive instead for excellence. Because that is good enough.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think perfectionism is a scary thing. People who seem driven to be perfect usually have deep pain hidden, or a secret that scares and upsets them. I am not phrasing this well, but I think y'all will understand.

I do not try to hide what we do, or when, or if we do things.

I know we are all more than good enough. We are wonderful, jsut the way we are.

I wish I could get my bro to see that his house doesn't have to be perfect, he could leave a few toys out when he has his daughter. They spend their time together (shared parenting) at my parents or doing chores. He plans picnics anc camping but never has everything just right so about 1/2 the time they end up not going.

It is a shame to see him miss so much of her childhood because he is cleaning the house.

Susie

I'm with you Susie. Kids don't remember the clean house when they grow older. Instead, they remember the attention and the fun times! Houses that are too clean frighten me...