Rant: Mood disorder, school troubles, anger and medications

B

badgranola

Hi everybody. I am still a newbie and have only posted once before, but sheesh I'm having a rough time. My difficult child will be 7 this month, in first grade (inclusion, but in a normal school this year). He's been taking 0.5 mg of Risperidone for about 3 months now. The past two weeks he's been having anger issues (again). He told his inclusion teacher at school he was going to break her window and that he'd done that before at home (not true). He also told her that if he didn't get his way he just wanted to die. He's been seeing a behavioral therapist twice a month and things seem to be going well. He has sensory processing disorder, diagnosed ADHD and mood disorder. He doesn't have many friends. His dad lives over an hour away (sees him every other weekend). I just don't know what to do, I guess is the gist of this posting. Sometimes I worry that all the medications we've tried are going to end up doing more harm than good in the long run. Any advice? Words of Wisdom?

No advice at the moment - I'm a bit drained today... This is a great site and I know others will be along soon with some words of wisdom. Until then, just know, you're definitely NOT alone!!!

Thinking of you... SFR

T

TeDo

I would suggest talking to your psychiatrist. Maybe the Risperidone dosage needs to be bumped up. We just went through something similar and increasing his dosage helped. It's worth a shot. Other than that, I don't really have any further advice. What exactly are they basing the "mood disorder" diagnosis on? That diagnosis seems so broad to me especially for a kid your son's age. Has he been evaluated by a neuropsychologist? That might be worth looking into also.

whatamess

I guess I'd look at what he's so angry about. What has him so frustrated and is there any way to prevent or modify the situations/demands that are upsetting to him?

BusynMember

How was his early development? Any speech delays? Any particular weird obsessions or quirks? Maybe they don't have the right diagnosis so they aren't giving hiim the right treatment. It seems that most of our k ids don't respond well to behavioral therapy. Can you tell us more about him and his genetic background? Any issues on either side of his family tree? Substances abuse? Mental illness? Aspergers or any other form of autistic spectrum? Has he ever had a complete neuropsychologist evaluation? Who is treating him? I wouldn't trust a psychiatrist with psychiatric medication...I'd have him neuropsychologist tested then get a psychiatrist on board. First you need to have a more intensive idea of what you are dealing with. You said he has few friends. Does he socialize appropriately with his same age peers? Does he know how to play give-and-take or does he just get in their face and yell or monologue about one thing or just go off by himself?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Definitely let his psychiatrist know about what's going on. It's possible the Risperdal needs to be bumped up. I'd also call the therapist with an update so that it can be considered before his next appointment.