Rattle beads, cross finger, chicken liver dance...

Abbey

Spork Queen
...whatever you can give. Yet again I'm going out to a really promising interview as a live-in for 4 adult women with Autism. I have no problem with that and actually would enjoy the challenge. What I am in near panic about is that I have to drive about 40 minutes away BY MYSELF IN A NEW CITY.

I've got the Garmin, Mapquested it, chapstick for my flaming hot cheese pizza wound for my lip, flash drive in case I forgot something, briefcase full of random crud in case I forgot something else, showered in flipping cold water as the water heater broke again, reset the circuit breaker as I tried to use a blow dryer, put makeup on, took off my hippie jewelry, covered my tattoo,...sheesh.

I'm so tired of this daily venture. I might take tomorrow off from being unemployed.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Shakin' my feathered booties (I can hold three at a time, ya know!) and their internal organs for all they're worth!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Shakin' it.......in the moooooooon light baby -

Skeerin ' all the neighbors......

Shakin' it in the moooonlight babyyyyy

Now I'm getting hauled off......

Woooo

Shakin in the back of the ambulance.......

YOU GO GIRL.......

Abbey

Spork Queen
Thank you all and your support. I'm sitting here in a ball of tears thinking about the new direction my life is taking me. It's scary, yet exciting.

The interview went quite well. This is after getting lost in the middle of nowhere for a good 45 minutes. Thank goodness for the garmin who kept saying it was recalculating. Layman's terms: you screwed up and let me see if I can find you a way out.:tongue: So, I'm going through little towns that probably don't exist on any map, but somehow found my way there.

They found that although I interviewed for a live-in position, they thought I would be more suited for a Direct Service person who trains people for real life skills. I'd LOVE that. Here enters the problem...driving. They seemed to be ok with that and said it would come with time.

Maybe they are fixing me more than I hope to help them.

Ok, ok...I can drive. Deep breaths.

Abbey

KTMom91

Would Life Skills include OJT? In my management days, I worked with several counselors who provided support.

Keeping fingers crossed and sending an appeal to the driving gods that you will conquer this!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
If I can learn to drive to BY MYSELF around here... you can do it! I do not have a fancy pants Garmin either!
I look it up, I freak out internally, I breathe, I feel sick, I picture the route... I do it all over again.
I get lost sometimes. I find my way, and then I do it all over again the next time!
husband still can not believe that I barely can make it to his parents, they live something like 4 turns and 10 minutes from here! Seriously!

YOU can do it if you have to. Look at what you have done just in the past few months! My gosh lady this will be nothing compared to that.

Them streets can't stop you, it's just a road, stop, pull over, drive, stop, look at the map, drive, stop, pull over!
ALways give yourself extra-extra-extra time. And if you actually do show up with some extra time, bring a book and listen to some music while you let it all go until you have to drive home! LOL

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Dear Abbey, you've been down so long that this new direction just has to be UP.

Fingers crossed that this is the break you've been looking for. It's about dang time and you certainly deserve it.

Hugs,
Suz

mstang67chic

Going Green
So......does this mean it's a definate possibility???

As for the driving....I honestly don't trust the gps things. A lot of the time they are right but a lot of the time they aren't. Or...you have to go out of your way to go the route it wants you to. That's why I mapquest EVERYTHING. I'll do (depending on where I'm going) an average of three maps. One showing the entire route, one a little closer in and one really close up right where I'm going. (Cross streets, exit....whatever) Also, if there's a funky interchange on the interstate or something, I'll do one for that too. That doesn't mean I still catch the interchange....just ask Daisylover!...but it does help a lot. Plus if you do it this way, you can keep them in a folder in the car and they are always there even if satellites are down or if someone else drives. You can organize them.....from office to house A or from house C to house B, etc.

I have a horrible sense of direction but as long as I have a good map, I'm good. Even if I don't know which direction I'm going, once I find a main cross road, I'll figure it out! LOL

Sounds like you did great though and I'm anticipating a call any day for you for a job!!!

DammitJanet

Actually I hate Mapquest...lol. It sent us around in complete circles in our little trip to ohio and back. Now garmin and the like...they rock! Both Jamie and Billy have those things and boy, do they talk to you. I have actually intentionally made a wrong turn just to try and beat the darned thing but it told me how to get back to the road...lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
haha. I have such a lousy sense of direction that anytime I venture out to unknown territories, I call the place for directions, print out mapquest, AND use my GPS.

Abbey, you've got nuthin' on me. ;)

Suz