really irritated at step mom

everywoman

I have never had much regard for step-mom's, only because all of mine---yes there was more than one lovely woman---were horrible, mean, vicious people. The one married to my dad when he died, had the nerve to use my grandmother's obituary to try and prove in a court of law that my dad was not legally my dad and my grandparent's had adopted my sister and I. I came home from work one day and found a letter from a lawyer asking for my "adoption" papers. She tried to prove it in my little small town, and the judge, who has known my family for my entire life, tore her a new one!!! She was trying to block my sister and I from receiving a piddly amount of money that we would have gladly signed over to her. Her acts lost her a great family---no one will speak to her now--she is not invited to functions. Her greed and viciousness got her in the end---and my sister and I got the stupid couple of thousand dollars.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have never had much regard for step-mom's, only because all of mine---yes there was more than one lovely woman---were horrible, mean, vicious people.
Which is exactly where the Wicked Stepmother stereotype came from.

And honestly, EW? It was probably your father's choice in women... If all of them were that bad. (In thinking about husband's oldest, his first "stepmother" would have qualified for the Wicked title... But me, not so much... I hope.)

There's a reason for the stereotype... But there are exceptions, too. :wink: