BusynMember

Yes, in my opinion you do need a neuropsychologist. Psychologists do not do the same degree or intensity of testing and ADHD, unfortunately, is sort of a default diagnosis. It's the first one most of our kids get, even when other stuff is going on. Your child sound very rigid and I suspect more is going on than any sort of ADHD, although ADHD is probably part of a mix. ADHD rarely stands by itself.

A neuropsychologist has better testing and knows more about neurology, which is closely tied to psychology, then a plain psychologist, PhD or not. I would keep digging because the treatment isn't working. There are many disorders that present as ADHD when the kids are young, but are actually more complex. I would go there. My motto is "Better to be safe than sorry." And many of us, including myself, have lived to be sorry that we didn't do more earlier.

medications help some k ids. They don't help others. They can even make things worse. It all depends on what is wrong with the child and the child's body chemistry.

H

HaoZi

Okay, my gut says, if you're dealing with sensory issues AND fairness issues? You're dealing with more than just ADHD. I can almost promise you that. neuropsychologist testing is the best way to go for both of them.

InsaneCdn

MWM is right... ADHD is rarely a stand-alone diagnosis (not "never"... I have one kid that IS just ADHD minus the Hyper).

If ADHD is an early diagnosis, it will usually end up one of two ways... or both, if it takes too long to get the second type!

1) ADHD plus... can include other developmental issues such as Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), sensory processing disorder (SPD)/Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), as well as learning disabilities and other challenges. Many of these "add ons" can be missed or dismissed as not important. They DO matter.

2) Instead of ADHD... In reality, ADHD is just one of a whole spectrum of challenges, of which two common pervasive dxes that can come instead are Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Aspie. Many of the "plus" items are an integral part of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) dxes - there just needs to be enough separate pieces, including specific social skills issues, for an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) diagnosis. Some kids are "almost" but not quite officially on the spectrum, others definitely are. There are MI challenges that can look like ADHD as well.

One way or the other... it pays to get more answers. Even if you still don't get ALL the answers, each additional piece to the puzzle is a huge win.

IT1967

:( Just bummed to hear that there is not likely light at the end of the tunnel. :( I will definitely call the neuropsychologist. I will say the Risperdal is seeming to work with-my daughter. Not perfect, but I am seeing a difference and the teacher has said she's done much better this week. We met with-the psychiatrist for my son. He has pretty much confirmed what I feel - which is that he has the same issues, but on a much milder scale. He has recommended we add a low dose of Concerta in addition to the Intuniv he's taking. Most things are much better with-him except the ODD stuff at home. He's been doing very well in school, thank God. Ugh, every time I think about it all, I just get so so depressed. Thank you all again for the comments and suggestions.

IT1967

Oh, quick question. What is "MI". I've figured out most of the abbreviations, but this one I don't know. Wait, is it mental illness? *cry*

InsaneCdn

MI stands for Mental Illness... but keep in mind, that not all MI dxes are disasterous... and even some of the serious ones, can be managed (we have some parents on this board with forms of MI). Depression and Anxiety are forms of MI that we are more familiar with...

But I wouldn't go assuming MI for now... chances of something developmental are higher.
ADHD "plus" would be my starting point.

Your son, for example. That ODD behavior at home? Might be burn-out from holding it together all day at school. Trust me - finding where those mental drains are, is NOT easy, because school doesn't get it. But... it will be there. Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), for example - fighting to listen, fighting to make out the words... means there isn't enough brainpower to process what you hear, OR it takes so much effort that burnout sets in. Not that you've described Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)-type symptoms directly, but... it often goes with ADHD. And, in some kids, Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) presents the same symptoms (not paying attention, fidgetty, etc.) as ADHD.

There's other hidden stuff, too - like sleep disorders. Kids who are getting enough time in bed but not enough quality sleep can present all sorts of behavior problems. Get the fam. doctor. to rule out medical challenges...

Just some ideas.

BusynMember

The problem here being, IC :) that without a huge umbrella diagnosis., the other diagnosis. are seen as symptoms and not treated as, say, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is. It gets hard and pricey to treat them ourselves. We can usually get better help if we fight for school interventions (which can be exhausting), but it is worth it. Remember, we don't have healthcare coverage...yet. I am hoping that soon everyone will at least have coverage, but so far that hasn't happened.

InsaneCdn

I understand that.
Even with our "fairly" universal health care... we ended up in the same position.
But even with an umbrella diagnosis... there is a tendency to ignore some of the medium-sized related issues, like Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). Here, if the school sees "Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)" as a diagnosis, the other problems get ignored - totally. Every behavior challenge is than labelled as "he's just Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)"... not as a flag for some other challenge to be accommodated.

There are no "good" solutions to getting the right help in a timely and affordable manner... anywhere!

(if the parents on this board ran the world... <grin>)