Really Unprofessional...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Oh this just gets better and better...

Last week - supervisor renewed Behavior Therapist's contract for six months.

Today - supervisor decided to "fire" Behavior Therapist altogether....and sent BT an email detailing 'parent complaints' and telling her that due to said complaints, she could no longer work with difficult child...

And how do I know about this?

Because BT called me crying about how it's Christmas Week and it's not fair and how could I say such awful things about her and get her fired?!?!?

OMG!

Who does this?????

If you, as the head of a state agency, have the power to hire and fire people - why do you need to blame the decision to fire someone on the client they are supposed to continue to work with for the next two weeks??????

KTMom91

Hadn't you raised your concerns with BT before? I agree, not at all professional to blame you, but if she was ineffective, and you'd stated that before, it shouldn't have been a total surprise.

buddy

there was no reason for the supervisor to list you as the bad guy though... should have said in reviewing your work we have some concerns including.... and say they felt that her actions were inappropriate so they are going to let her go. ...not that you complained so she got fired.... both are unprofessional and now I would complain to the supervisors supervisor!

InsaneCdn

If you are terminating for cause, the person may get x weeks of pay - but off the job immediately.
If you are terminating because of budget cuts etc., then you work until last day.
And no, its not professional to do a termination right before a major holiday.

Its NOT just this BT. Its the whole outfit.
But you already knew that.

TerryJ2

Argh. Supervisor was unprofessional, but the icing in the cake was the BT calling you, crying.
Get rid of the guilt. You've got enough on your plate.

DammitJanet

This is so wrong. Expect a call from CPS. I did this to a BT that was so unprofessional with Cory when she wouldnt show up on time to pick him up in the mornings which left him sitting alone outside of my place of employment for over 45 minutes every morning for over a week straight. Cory also told me other odd things that went on. I called her agency and told them I no longer wanted her to work with him and she called CPS the next day. Next thing I knew I was getting a call telling me that I was neglecting my children by leaving my 3 boys alone everyday. Now this was interesting considering Cory was 11 and was in the care of his brother who was old enough to babysit and Billy at 16 didnt live with me but if they thought he did, he would have been well old enough to babysit them all...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
O.

M.

G.

WTH is wrong with these people????? HOW can they even THINK they are even a teeny bit professional??? I am truly flabbergasted. I cannot wrap my brain around this "BT" and her behavior. does she really have any credentials? I would be calling or going online to find the state licensing agency and making a formal complaint over this latest stunt.

This girl got paid to help your kid and instead filled her with lies and ideas that are so far off base that she truly derailed any HOPE of helping your daughter through this agency. She drives wedges into your relationship with your kid by telling her that OF COURSE she can do x,y,z when any sane person would know better or at least know to talk to the parents first.

in my opinion this was NOT a BT it was a playmate for difficult child. I am thrilled they fired her and yet I doubt that there is anyone better in the system. There is simply NO excuse for the things the BT did/said with difficult child about college giving her huge sums of $$ and about arranging a way for a child to have a bank account that her parents could not supervise. in my opinion that is about the worst thing the BT could do. She gave difficult child LOTS of reasons to ignore you - after all if a THERAPIST says it is okay then the parents MUST be idiots for saying no (in difficult child's mind). All the BT did was encourage worse behavior and less respect toward you and husband. It is just crazy for the BT to call and ask why YOU got her fired! YOU did no such thing. SHE got herself fired by behaving inappropriately. PLEASE let the supervisor know that she called and asked this of you, and then let supervisor's boss know that the firing was blamed on YOU instead of on BT's lousy job performance and scarily inappropriate judgement. If they do call cps on you, just ride it out, you have NOTHING to be afraid of.

susiestar

Roll With It
O.

M.

G.

WTH is wrong with these people????? HOW can they even THINK they are even a teeny bit professional??? I am truly flabbergasted. I cannot wrap my brain around this "BT" and her behavior. does she really have any credentials? I would be calling or going online to find the state licensing agency and making a formal complaint over this latest stunt.

This girl got paid to help your kid and instead filled her with lies and ideas that are so far off base that she truly derailed any HOPE of helping your daughter through this agency. She drives wedges into your relationship with your kid by telling her that OF COURSE she can do x,y,z when any sane person would know better or at least know to talk to the parents first.

in my opinion this was NOT a BT it was a playmate for difficult child. I am thrilled they fired her and yet I doubt that there is anyone better in the system. There is simply NO excuse for the things the BT did/said with difficult child about college giving her huge sums of $$ and about arranging a way for a child to have a bank account that her parents could not supervise. in my opinion that is about the worst thing the BT could do. She gave difficult child LOTS of reasons to ignore you - after all if a THERAPIST says it is okay then the parents MUST be idiots for saying no (in difficult child's mind). All the BT did was encourage worse behavior and less respect toward you and husband. It is just crazy for the BT to call and ask why YOU got her fired! YOU did no such thing. SHE got herself fired by behaving inappropriately. PLEASE let the supervisor know that she called and asked this of you, and then let supervisor's boss know that the firing was blamed on YOU instead of on BT's lousy job performance and scarily inappropriate judgement. If they do call cps on you, just ride it out, you have NOTHING to be afraid of.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I can see telling BT about parent complaints. Details if asked. However...

She's supposed to work with difficult child for 2 more weeks? :grrr: Guess that ain't happening. Best if it does not.

Christmas week - I can see having to let someone go, but jeesh, wait till after the 25th.

AND - BT calling you? Is mild harassment. I'd let the supervisor know and then... Certified mail to HER supervisor with the whole thing laid out.

GAH! I thought OUR county was backwards! Erggggg.

buddy

YOu know, I am going to state the obvious here, Now it is SOOO clear why she couldn't halp difficult child! She couldn't connect the dots to her own behavior causing a consequence. SO, how could she possibly help difficult child do that? This is not a good field for her and you did her a favor.

klmno

It might be different where you are, DF, but in this state 'behavior therapists' don't have to be licensed MH therapists. They can (and usually are) people with a degree in any human services field; "license preferred but not required" and they don't get paid all that much, which is why they are usually not all that experienced, knowldgable about these sorts of difficult child issues, etc., and there is no licensing board overseeing their standards. A licensed therapist can make a lot more money without having to do in-home services with people so would be unlikely to take a job like this. At best, it might be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) who couldn't find a job anywhere else.

Of course, they all think they can do CBT, diagnosis, etc, which is why I think they end up causing more harm than good a lot of times.

B

Bunny

I'm curious how this BT even thought she would be able to help a difficult child when she sounds like a difficult child herself!

For her to call you was completely out of line. You had concerns about the things she was filling your daughter's head with and you reported those concerns. I do think that they could have waited until after Christmas to fire her, but honestly, I think that she had it coming. If she was doing this with your child she had to be doing it with other children that she worked with. I can't imagine that you were the only one to complain about her.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Good morning All--

My head is still spinning over last night's phone call... I just cannot believe how far BT is willing to cross the line!

KTMom--

Yes...None of the "parent concerns" should have been a surprise to BT. I am not a backstabber - I had addressed each and every one of these issues with BT as they occurred. But last night's call really put me on the spot...so I out on my warrior Mom armor and went toe-to-toe with her as she called me a liar. I had to tell her flat out "Yes you DID say...." and "Yes you DID tell difficult child to do that..." GAH! Talk about an awkward conversation...

Buddy--

Exactly. The email could have simply said "We've decided to go another direction..." or something equally non-inflammatory. Instead, I guess it was a huge list of problems.

Insane--

Exactly right. If the problems were that bad....BT should have been fired immediately. Instead, she's been accused of being a problem employee (after first having been told her contract was extended) and yet is still expected to finish out the original contract.

Terry--

Yes - why did she have to call me??? I'm thinking her motivation was to try and get her job back. But even that is way out of line...

Janet--

I would hope BT would not call CPS...but she did go on and on about how kids like difficult child struggle with change and this is gonna be so hard on difficult child and difficult child is gonna backslide and have all sorts of problems now...

Susie--

Basically, you explained my feelings. Yes, we are thrilled that she is fired...but do I think that the replacement is going to be any better? No I don't. At this point, we are prepared for just another level of H*ll...

LittleDudesMom--

I'll second that...

Step--

Yes - totally unprofessional for a firing to happen that way....with explicit details spelled out and attributed to the parent. It's just not right.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
K--

I'm not sure about the requirements...and you may be right about that. I know she is not a licensed therapist - she does have a degree but I think it's in business...

Bunny--

Yes, this should not have been a surprise. Everything I reported to supervisor I had addressed directly with BT first....AND supervisor had reports from BT that backed up many of my complaints....so this was not an "out of the blue" event...

klmno

I found the requirements for this area by looking over the "employment opportunities" sections for various agencies, public and private. Whenever the po suggests a program or provider, I look online and find their website, then job opportunities, then read the job description, pay, education requirements, etc. That tells me a lot about what to expect from them.